2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4.3 oil leak help

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:49 PM
1sexyblzr is on a distinguished road
Default 4.3 oil leak help

I have recently noticed oil spots on my driveway I knew I had a small oil leak but have never noticed oil spots on my driveway. Other then a oil pan gasket leak what other spots could cause an oil leak , is this oil leak something I really should be worried about? What could I do to fix the leak. Also how much would it be to fix. Any help would really be awesome

Old 05-31-2010, 05:01 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Other likely sources - valve cover gasket, front or rear main seal, oil pressure sending unit. Clean the engine then look around on it to see if you can spot the leak. You can see at the rear of the block with a flashlight and a mechanic's mirror.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:13 PM

Iv looked under the truck and it seems to be coming from the front of the motor and as it leaks the when I drive the oil is being pushed back from the wind but I'm going to clean off the bottom then check and ill post what I see

Old 05-31-2010, 05:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What are you driving?

Could be the oil lines if so equiped. They are a very common source of oil leaks.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:44 PM

2002 chevy blazer 2wd

I looked under the truck again and its leaking from the front of the motor and

Last edited by swartlkk; 05-31-2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: **Combining Consective Posts** - Please use the EDIT feature to add information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Being a 2wd, you probably do not have the oil lines unless it came with the oil cooler in the radiator.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:45 PM

Yeah I'm not sure if its the oil lines, I think it is prob the oil pan gasket? Does anyone know how much I'm lookin at spending to get the leak fixed? By the way guys thanks for the help I like blazer forum a lot better then s10forum those guys are pretty harsh to any questions I asked plus pretty much everyone on s10forum thinks every truck should be bagged and bodydropped but you guys are pretty helpful and cool :-)

Old 06-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Beginning Member
Dan'ger is on a distinguished road

I find myself in a similar situation.

* What product do people recommend for removing oil stains from concrete driveways?

We had a few problems before this point but nothing major. There was an oil leak from somewhere underneath but with the skid plates in place it was impossible to tell where the leak was coming from. Since it never seemed to leak enough to warrant putting in a quart between oil changes, we just let it go.

A few months ago, my wife called me while I was on a business trip to tell me that she had overheated our '99. Since I was going to be out of town for a few more days, I asked her to take it to the dealership for a diagnostic inspection.

The list that they came up with was long and some was unrelated to the specific problem and some I think was just CYA on their part.
Intake Manifold Gasket
Water Pump
Thermostat
Radiator
Steering Pump
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter
...and of course all of the fluids that go along with it.

The quote totaled out to $4,500 including the expected labor. After looking into the parts, they were almost all available from the local Autozone and seemed to be a long but pretty easy job. The aftermarket parts-only total was around $800 so I decided to take on my first real car project in about 10 years, considering that this one repair job in a shop would cost about the book value of my vehicle!

With my son in limbo between graduating HS and going into the Air Force, I figured that it was a good time for him to learn a bit about auto mechanics as well.

I decided to do all of the standard tune-up items along with it which added another $200 in parts.

Photos are here: http://flickr.com/gp/dan-ger/o0jYhL. Thankfully I had enough space in my work warehouse to jack it up and leave it for the duration of the work.

In short, it took us about 2-1/2 months of working on it a few hours per week to get it all torn down and replace all of the parts. Except for initially putting the distributor back in 180 degrees out , it started up and runs like a champ. Unfortunately the oil leak is worse than it was before.

Now that the engine is clean and the skid plates are off, I can see exactly where the leaks are coming from. One leak is coming from the oil pan gasket under the timing chain cover and the other is coming from the oil cooler line gasket between the pan and the "bowl." I must have damaged the oil pan gasket while replacing the timing chain cover.

So, now I'm looking at the prospect of pulling the front differential so I can pull the pan and cooler line assembly to fix these leaks. From talking to my local shop, this is a $1,500 job - mostly labor - however, it's only about $50 in parts.

I expect to have another photoset soon however, this time I'm doing the work in our home garage. I expect it will take me less time without the logistics of staying late at the office or making a special trip to get the work done.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:34 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Dan'ger,
When adding a post to an existing thread, please try to keep it more focused on the original poster's topic. You kind of went all over the place with this post.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Beginning Member
Dan'ger is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Dan'ger,
When adding a post to an existing thread, please try to keep it more focused on the original poster's topic. You kind of went all over the place with this post.
The point I was trying to make was towards the end of my rambling.

The cost of an oil pan gasket leak in a shop is about $1,500. The cost of the parts to fix an oil pan leak is less than $100.

If it's just the cooling line adapter gasket, the parts are $4.