Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Big Oil Leak / ATF Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:10 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Big Oil Leak / ATF Leak

Well I found something bad. Bad enough to want to give up on this truck. My truck left big fluid spots on the parking lot. New spots that I have never seen before. I know this truck leaks a little oil, but not like this. Oil hoses were replaced about 3 years ago and they still appear good. Oil previously just leaked out near the back of the oil pan. Now I see oil as far forward as the back of the skidplate under the oil filter and around the oil pan. Oil filter assembly itself is clean, hoses are covered in oil but it appears to be coming from above as there is fresh oil all over the engine. Power steering fluid is fine, front differential was fine at the last oil change.

I also found some red between the oil pan and transmission again. I first saw it a year ago and at the time, it wasn't coming from the pump seal. Mechanic pulled the inspection cover and said that it was not and it would be pouring out if it was. I just found some red on the drain plug on the transfer case. It is tight and there are no cracks. The transmission is overfilled also. Where could all this be coming from?

Old 03-18-2013, 06:22 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

sometimes its hard to determine where a leak is from, especially if its everywhere, usually if your input seal on your transfercase goes bad the transmission will over fill the transfercase, ive never head of it going the other way around but nothing surprises me anymore. it could be that if its over filled that its coming out of the vent of the dipstick tube.

what i try to do is if i cant find a leak, spray the heck out of your engine with engine cleaner or brake cleaner whatever to make it clean then drive it for a few days or let it run for a few minutes if its really bad then lay under there and look again

Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Ok I did check the transfer case. While the truck was on a very slight nose down angle, there was ZERO fluid coming out of the transfer case fill plug and the fluid was below the hole. I did have to add half a quart of oil. Oil last changed just under 2000 miles ago.

Where is the dipstick tube vent? Would it look like the input seal leaking on the transmission?

Would engine cleaner be bad for rubber? If I were to actually spray under the engine with a pressure washer (normally I do hose down the undercarriage after snowstorms), where do I avoid to prevent from getting water in the oil or ATF? Thanks