2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4WD-- '03 wheel won't spin freely when off the ground.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 11:23 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Jim with 2003 4WDand 3 button controls-- I have the battery and batt. tray out. I see the bellows and the attached cable which is moving freely by hand. I cannot find the round vacuum actuator for the NV233 3 btn system I have. I thought it was under the battery tray, but it isn't. It isn't on the firewall center like the NV236. Is it on the transfer case itself? Where exactly?

Old 09-02-2015, 05:18 PM

I think I am using the terms 'vacuum switch' and 'vacuum actuator' wrong. I am looking for the vacuum switch with the three ports on one end and the check ball on the other. It is about as big as the end of your thumb. The vacuum actuator is the bellows which controls the cable. I am looking for the vacuum switch. Not new to cars, but obviously new to the 4WD world. My primitive tests show the Vac. acutator and cable =bellows is moving freely. TIA for your help. Jim

Old 09-02-2015, 05:20 PM

I think I am using the terms 'vacuum switch' and 'vacuum actuator' wrong. I am looking for the vacuum switch with the three ports on one end and the check ball on the other. It is about as big as the end of your thumb. The vacuum actuator is the bellows which controls the cable. I am looking for the vacuum switch. Not new to cars, but obviously new to the 4WD world. My primitive tests show the Vac. acutator and cable =bellows is moving freely. TIA for your help. Jim

Old 09-04-2015, 08:22 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
This guy shows where it is located. Good luck!

Old 09-04-2015, 11:39 AM

Les, thanks for the video. I went there and he was saying how it is difficult to find and even reach with a 7/8" wrench. That made me feel a little better since I couldn't find it at all. Mark Jenkins also has an updated video follow-up where he replaces the vacuum actuator switch and uses a flat 7/8" wrench borrowed from a m/c tool kit for better access.
Mark Jenkin's Updated vid.
He follows that one with how to find a Vacuum leak. Watch through to the end of the above video to click on the find the leak.