2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4wd info, binding up on turns

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011 | 08:23 PM
|
shleprock is on a distinguished road

OK, so I'm read up! How do I know if I have an open differential, or a LSD???

Old 12-20-2011 | 08:34 PM
ljd
ljd is on a distinguished road
Default 4wd info,binding up on turns

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The G80 Gov-Lock differential was only used in the rear axle. There wasn't an option for a front locker or limited-slip diff. Run a search for 'G80' or 'G80+operation' and you should get more than enough information.
this option was standard on the zr2 trim,,,,,,,,,, just a little tidbit!

Old 12-20-2011 | 08:37 PM
|
shleprock is on a distinguished road

mine's not a zr2! also is it posible to have an open differenial in the back, and a LDS in the front???

Old 12-21-2011 | 02:16 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

no you do not have a limited slip differential in the front. i can tell you that for sure. the reason why the it binds in 4WD is because TWO of the tires (one in front and one in back) HAVE to be moving at the same speed, and when you turn they are all moving at a little different speeds. i can see where you would think "well if i have an open diff then why cant the tires spin at different speeds without binding and two tires slipping?" but no thats not how it works, when you turn sharp the inside tires travel slower to make the same turn as the outside tires. so one of the tires on the inside has to slip to be able to turn at the same speed as the outside tire. thats not always how it works tho, the two inside tires could be getting the power but they will still move at slightly different speeds causing one to slip, all depends on which one has the least amount of traction.

This isnt the easiest topic to explain but hopefully i didnt confuse you anymore than you already are. but all in all DO NOT drive on dry pavement or high traction surfaces with your truck in 4WD

Old 12-21-2011 | 06:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shleprock
mine's not a zr2! also is it posible to have an open differenial in the back, and a LDS in the front???
As I stated above, there was NO OPTION for anything other than an open diff in the front. The only factory option for the rear was the G80 Gov-Lock rear diff which you have already stated you do not have. And if someone has changed it out (which your observations of 1 wheel peels follows that you have a standard open rear diff), the only way to tell is by removing the rear diff cover.

Now please try to read & comprehend the information that you have been given. It doesn't appear that the second part of that has been happening.