2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4x4 doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:44 PM
youngersblazer is on a distinguished road
Default 4x4 doesn't work

hi im new here and need a little help with my 97 chevy blazer.
my 4x4 stopped working and i don't know where to look now.
so i have replaced the vaccum act switch on t-case, the actuator on front diff, the vaccum actutor under the battery and the cable to the diiff
everything seems to work properly but it still doesnt engage the front wheels. the actuator under the battery sucks in and pulls the cable to the diff and the driveshaft from the t-case to the front diff engages when you push the button so im stumped any help would be great

thanks scott

Old 11-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is the transfer case engaging properly? To test, with the transfer case in 4HI, jack up one front wheel and try to spin the front driveshaft. If it does not spin, then the transfer case is engaged. If it spins, then the transfer case is not engaging the front driveshaft.

If the transfer case is engaged and the actuator under the battery pulls the cable 0.5-0.75" then there is a problem with the engagement shift fork inside the front axle.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:23 PM
youngersblazer is on a distinguished road

I'm guessing you didn't read the post to clearly did you ? . . .

Because if you did you would all ready know that 1 the vac actuator pulls the cable and 2 yes the front drive shaft engages and spins

Scott

Old 11-23-2010, 04:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The question is, did you read and comprehend my post?

I know you said that the front driveshaft 'engages' and 'spins', but to what did it engage and what is causing it to spin? If you checked it with the front wheels on the ground (which is what I must assume since you didn't specify), it could have engaged at the transfer case or it could have engaged at the front axle. Either way, you wouldn't have been able to spin the front driveshaft and conversely the front driveshaft would spin when you drove it. However, both are required to transmit power to the front wheels. The test I mentioned will lead you to whether it is a front axle engagement issue or a transfer case issue which really must be determined as a first step in the diagnostic procedure.

To further the diagnosis into a direction which I believe to be the source of your problem, I asked if the cable was pulled 0.5-0.75". You did not give a measurement and anything less than 0.5" is not really enough to engage the front axle.

The devil's in the details isn't it... Maybe the next time you may actually try what is suggested before so quickly throwing it aside. I'm not here to waste anyone's time, above all my own. I give the initial steps of a diagnostic procedure to help narrow down the source of the problem. It's up to you to determine the source.