2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4x4 help

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 02:09 PM
migraywolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4x4 help

I am looking at possibly buying a 99 S10 Blazer 4dr (Trailblazer package). When I drove it I selected 4x4 high and the light would just continually blink. I selected Auto 4x4 and the same thing. I stopped, put the trans in neutral and selected 4x4 low. I heard it engage that time, but the light still just continually blinked. From my past experience in owning these vehicles I remember that the light would blink a few seconds after selecting the mode, but then go steady. Can anyone tell me why it just continually blinks after selecting the mode? Oh, when I select normal 2wd, that light will stay steady.
Also, like a lot of S10's the power mirrors will not work in all directions. Is that just a bad switch? If so, what do they normally cost?
Thanks!
Bill

Old 04-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4x4 help

*Moving to 2nd Gen Tech*

Old 04-18-2008, 03:44 PM

ok. sorry about placing it in the wrong area. Any idea's about the problem?

Old 04-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I couldn't comment much while at work. I simply wanted to get it moved to the appropriate section so you could get the proper help and attention.

I would start by checking for vacuum at the front actuator when you attempt to engage the 4wd. Does it matter if you are moving or not? The next place to check would be the solenoid valve on the firewall that has two vacuum lines leading to it. Disconnect the vacuum lines and check for vacuum on them. With both disconnected, you should have vacuum on one of them (provided the vacuum switch on the transfer case is working properly).

Since you have the Trailblazer package, you should also have the Auto4wd option which kinda sucks when you are trying to diagnose a problem. This system requires a Tech2 or equivalent scanner to access the transfer case control module for code retrieval.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:19 PM

It doesn't matter if I have moving or not. The lights just blink. Like I said though, when stopping and selecting low range I can hear it engage. So I don't know if 4x4 high engages or not because I don't hear or feel any difference. It is a very clean vehicle, but this has me somewhat concerned. I was hoping that maybe it was just a bad switch on the dash panel.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Administrator

So 4Lo goes in without flashing?

Old 04-18-2008, 09:50 PM

No, I can hear 4x4 Low engage, but the light continually blinks just like the high range.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Well, check over what I have suggested and then maybe try cleaning the connectors at the TCCM (behind the passenger side kick panel), the encoder motor (next to the front driveshaft on the front/driver side of the transfer case), and the switch itself (in the dash).

If that doesn't help, then you will need to get it diagnosed properly using a tech2 or equivalent scan tool.

*EDIT*

So I made suggestion of what to look at YESTERDAY and you posted another thread on the subject...? Have some patience! Use the advice given and report back on what you find. I will not go through EVERY possible cause of a problem as it is a huge waste of my time. The things I suggest work forward to determine what is causing the problem.

If you are looking at buying this vehicle and cannot work on it, aks the owner to fix it. If they can't or are unwilling, get them to drop the price as the 4wd system is not functioning. It is quite possible that the encoder motor is bad, but it could be a $10 vacuum switch failure.

Use the search feature (it really does work) and try some different key words. Refine your search with the information you find. Things have been covered before, believe it or not.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:07 AM

OK.

I posted the second post to try to see if any GM mechs were out there and not just shade tree guessing (not that I am calling you that), but geeze you seem pretty impatient with new members. Try some of your own advise in being patient.....

Old 04-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Administrator
Default RE: 4x4 help - Certified GM Mechs ONLY!!

Certified GM Mechanics ONLY can apply - Check...

If I had that vehicle in front of me, the first thing I would do is hook up my scan tool and access the TCCM for the trouble codes present as I STATED earlier (not guessed). However, not everyone has a $500+ scan tool capable of that so I have to make recommendations for what the typical DIY'er can do. My suggestions are based off of what I would do (and any other competent mechanic) when first investigating the problem you are experiencing without access to said scan tool. If you want someone to pinpoint the problem over the internet for you, let me get out my crystal ball...

Well, as I am not a certified mechanic, I guess I should not comment or share my experience and knowledge on this problem. Sorry for making an attempt and wasting both of our time. Didn't know you only wanted "certified" responses. What do you think that 'certified' mechanics do when they actually have the vehicle in front of them? (this is a rhetorical question and no answer is necessary) Try doing that EXACT same thing over the internet, possibly thousands of miles away. Yeah... Thought so.

Nice stab at me and practically everyone here that makes an attempt to help people in need though... I won't bother you with any more of my advice.

And as I stated in my PM to you, do not confuse my responsibility to the forum with impatience. That would be like criticizing a cop for pulling over a new driver for failing to signal a lane change. Sure its an obscure law, but it is still a law. Maybe a better analogy would be a cop pulling you over for speeding where you missed the speed zone change... Did you missing the sign make matters any better? You still got pulled over and told what you had done wrong... but i digress. People will always take things the wrong way regardless of how I try to explain the situation to them.

Good luck with whatever you do. Ok, I'm done.