2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

95 Blazer no start-gauges going wild

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:45 AM
paul95blazer is on a distinguished road
Default 95 Blazer no start-gauges going wild

I have a 95 Blazer that when you turn the key on all the gauges jump all over and the relays in the glove box click continuously. It doesn't turn over or even attempt to engage the starter. The speedo and tach both jump up and down and even stick sometimes. I tried in neutral and park and with the lights on and off. When I took the key out yesterday after giving up, the clicking noises continued even without the key in. Now the battery is dead today which didn't surprise me. I checked the battery connections etc. and the negative cable was hot when I touched it, which I didn't understand either. There's a relay up under the hood near the throttle body body that looks to have some vacuum lines coming from it that also clicks constantly when the key is on. Also I heard clicking noises from the column under the dash. I was thinking ignition switch? I don't feel like just throwing parts at it with no idea if that's the problem. Has anyone ever heard of this wierd problem? Thanks!-Paul

Old 09-27-2009, 07:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would start by checking over all of the ground connections under the hood and under the dash. The negative battery cable being hot is not a good sign...

Old 09-27-2009, 08:00 AM
paul95blazer is on a distinguished road

I just read the "anatomy of the ignition switch" and it sure sounds like it could be suspect. Any ideas along that line? Would it cause gauges and relays to go wild?

Old 09-27-2009, 08:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It could be the cause, but it should not cause your negative cable to be hot. Corrosion can definitely cause a cable to become hot.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:27 PM
AlexB is on a distinguished road

Ive had similar, but different problems involving clicking. I checked the other posts but none seeem to answer my issue.
Its only surfaced as a issue now when temp gets around 0 C (32F). When I turnt he key everytime i hear a click that sounds like coming from passenger dash area.
It will start up fine some mornings, but others will start run for about a second or two and die. Sometimes takes one or two more tries to go. But after its run for a couple mins it starts no problem.

But, I guess what Im getting at is that this mysterious clicking from passenger dash area seems to be similar, although mine doesnt continue afterwards.

Alex