2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96' Blazer - Idle + Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:41 PM
tetshi is on a distinguished road
Default 96' Blazer - Idle + Transmission issues

So, my Blazer recently took a trip through some flooded streets in my area, and didn't make it.

The air intake took on some water which caused it to stall in the middle of the street, thus disabling the vehicle. And even once I got it out of the water, some how the battery managed to be completely dead. So I got a jump from someone, and I just cranked the **** out of it until it kicked all the water out, she started up and ran like a champ. Drove it home just fine with no issues.

Fast forward a few days and now all of a sudden the Blazer is idling really high (You can feel the resistance when trying to brake) and my transmission is acting insane. Let me try to be as descriptive as possible.

I put it in (D), and it automatically wants to take off on it's own due to the idling problem. It shifts gears at a very high RPM, and when it finally does shift, as soon as I give it gas, it drops back down into a passing gear until I let off the gas again. It does this all the way up until about 60 MPH. However, yesterday it wasn't doing that. Instead, it was just revving high before shifting but it wouldn't drop back down into a passing gear the minute I gave it a little gas. So whatever the problem is; is clearly getting worse.

Also, something to note. When I first bought the car, the transmission (I'm assuming this was the tranny) would "stutter" for a second sometimes. Didn't really matter what speed it was, but I would just be driving it at a constant 55 or accelerating and it would do a quick stutter, then it'd be fine again. I never thought much of it because it wasn't really a big deal at the time. Just thought that might help.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has any clues or ideas.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Starting Member
1998MSO is on a distinguished road

Have you scanned for any codes? One thing to note, if the engine isn't running right then often times the transmission doesn't "seem" right either. Start with the engine idling issue by checking for any fault codes.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:40 PM

Well, I took it to one local auto place, but they "assured" the scan would not be helpful. Perhaps I'll take it else where and let them do their thing and see what I come up with. Thanks for the advice. I'll report back when I figure out more.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:14 PM
R2P
Starting Member
R2P is on a distinguished road

I would drop the trans fluid pan and check to see if any water got in there.

But like 1998MSO said, an engine problem can seem like the trans and vice versa.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:32 PM

So you're saying it's possible the transmission itself is going bad and it could be something else? I would much rather it be a motor issue than a trans issue, and if that's probable, than I'm happy.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is your throttle blade closing properly?

Old 10-06-2010, 10:38 AM

My father and I just took the throttle body cover off and the blade was sticking pretty bad due to carbon build up, so we cleaned it out the best we could without the throttle body cleaner, but I think I need to go buy a can and try it again, it's still a tad sticky.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Starting Member
95Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Check the TPS sensor. This should throw the check engine light if it's bad though.