2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 LT 4x4 4 door every day drive - more/again

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 09:32 PM
Starting Member
DARK1 is on a distinguished road
Default 96 LT 4x4 4 door every day drive - more/again

I have had nothing to contribute for over 2 years. I have checked for new posts now and again though. I wished I had the knowledge and experience to offer. I did miss you guys. Maybe I can pick up "lost time" with a loaded post here. lol

I finally got up enough cash to pay a professional shop to swap motors and put my 97 engine into my 96 EDD. I ran for parts nearly everyday. All in all it cost me just under $3k. In many ways the parts requests were along the lines of a dealer service; New: plug wires, neutral safety switch, Shifter cable x3, New coolant, oil and 2 Gallons of ATF (because they said they had to drain it to separate to motor, and install new mother. They called and said I had water in my trany fluid. I told them 2 gallons s/b enough ATF to drain and flush it- they agreed)..

What I'm left with was Hood and roof - FL sun bleached paint. Fan shroud incomplete - they lost the lower half and they did not even mention it. so I decided it needed a short field trip.I gave t half bottle of Sta-Bil into 1/4 tank of 2 year old gas and later a bunch of Lucas Octane booster and Ethanol remover. I called the Transmission shop that rebuilt it and told the owner I wanted him to look it over & give the 'A-OK" . The tranny had no forward movement and started slipping 7 miles into my 1st Field trip. It turns out that the Mechanics shop did not know how to "Flush a Transmission." The water dissolved the clutches and that mess clogged up the filter. Then I started wondering how a vehicle with the dipstick in and the hood down could possibly get "any water" in it. They refused to honor their 1 yr/12,000 mi warranty. The milage was only actually 800. I shopped around and found a more reputable shop a mile further up the trail. $1500 cash THey threw in a 2yr warranty and a carbon fiber Torque converter.

My DRL is back on ( I had to come back here to see just how it was done). I started at the fuse box and once I figured out the way to set the lights it all came down to the right front marker light - out. Using a test light I found that it was getting 12v but was not grounded. I'm not sure if I can just randomly ground it to chasis or try to trace back where it went wrong.

I know I prolly should have broken this post over several forums. I'm just glad to be back. There are a bunch of mysteries in this. I know I came to the right place for advice.

Old 02-08-2020, 04:43 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Welcome back.

Light issue may be solved either way. Route a new ground to a know ground but you have the hassle to route a wire or check and find out where the light fixture has it's ground. Many times just the wire being unplugged or the pin rusted off the light fixture. Most of the time an easy fix.

Old 02-08-2020, 10:39 AM
Starting Member
DARK1 is on a distinguished road

It is warming up nicely (72* now) s/b 74* by 4PM). I can get out there without layering my clothes. Gonna se what I can do today.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:06 PM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DARK1
I have had nothing to contribute for over 2 years. I have checked for new posts now and again though. I wished I had the knowledge and experience to offer. I did miss you guys. Maybe I can pick up "lost time" with a loaded post here. lol

I finally got up enough cash to pay a professional shop to swap motors and put my 97 engine into my 96 EDD. I ran for parts nearly everyday. All in all it cost me just under $3k. In many ways the parts requests were along the lines of a dealer service; New: plug wires, neutral safety switch, Shifter cable x3, New coolant, oil and 2 Gallons of ATF (because they said they had to drain it to separate to motor, and install new mother. They called and said I had water in my trany fluid. I told them 2 gallons s/b enough ATF to drain and flush it- they agreed)..

What I'm left with was Hood and roof - FL sun bleached paint. Fan shroud incomplete - they lost the lower half and they did not even mention it. so I decided it needed a short field trip.I gave t half bottle of Sta-Bil into 1/4 tank of 2 year old gas and later a bunch of Lucas Octane booster and Ethanol remover. I called the Transmission shop that rebuilt it and told the owner I wanted him to look it over & give the 'A-OK" . The tranny had no forward movement and started slipping 7 miles into my 1st Field trip. It turns out that the Mechanics shop did not know how to "Flush a Transmission." The water dissolved the clutches and that mess clogged up the filter. Then I started wondering how a vehicle with the dipstick in and the hood down could possibly get "any water" in it. They refused to honor their 1 yr/12,000 mi warranty. The milage was only actually 800. I shopped around and found a more reputable shop a mile further up the trail. $1500 cash THey threw in a 2yr warranty and a carbon fiber Torque converter.

My DRL is back on ( I had to come back here to see just how it was done). I started at the fuse box and once I figured out the way to set the lights it all came down to the right front marker light - out. Using a test light I found that it was getting 12v but was not grounded. I'm not sure if I can just randomly ground it to chasis or try to trace back where it went wrong.

I know I prolly should have broken this post over several forums. I'm just glad to be back. There are a bunch of mysteries in this. I know I came to the right place for advice.
You are a lot like me. It was only a matter of time before I go and get another Blazer. I was originally going to get another Gen1 but I got a really nice example of a Gen2.. Which I caused an issue in, sooner rather than later. I always knew I was going to do that . Now, I get to solve it, own the repair, and get to learn a lot in the process.

Chiming in to say, I will follow this thread, and big salute to the Blazers! They really are that good.