2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 4.3 Vortec, short block swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 11:40 AM
93LT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 97 4.3 Vortec, short block swap

I'm contemplating buying a 97 Olds Bravada that has a lower engine knock, figuring it is a rod or main bearing giving way. I'm wondering if there are any years of the 4.3 vortec that I couldn't use a short block from, ranging from 92 to 2000+. I'm figuring the 96 and up will be similar, I'm just curious if anyone knows if the 92-95 blocks are the same in case I were to find a good one in that year.

Swartlkk, I know you have a Bravada, I assume it has this insta trac, or whatever the name is where you have no control of the 4wd/Allwd. If you have this, how do you like it?

Old 12-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 97 4.3 Vortec, short block swap

With a lower end knock, I wouldn't worry about the block... I'd have the crank checked out to see if it needs grinding, and then rebuild the whole bottom end. You can hand hone the cylinders and then new rings and bearings and you've basically got a new bottom end for probably cheaper than buying a short block. But to answer your question, I believe that any block from '96 to current would work.

You might want to line up a donor short block just in case. Get that motor out, and the heads off and see if the top of the cylinders has a lip. If it does, then the block might need to be bored and larger pistons put in. But even a master rebuild kit with 0.030 over pistons would probably cost less than a donor short block, but then you do have the costs of machining the block and crank.

As far as the AWD is concerned... I do miss the fun of having only RWD in the snow, but even with the crappy Uniroyal Laredo tires, it handles the snow VERY well! No problems what so EVER!

Old 12-31-2005, 03:28 PM
93LT is an unknown quantity at this point

Rebulding the engine isn't a problem, I've done many growing up. I hadn't checked to see what a short block would cost, you might be right, I might be better off just rebuilding what the vehicle has in it. I told the dealer to see what his wholesale dealer would offer and let me know. As it was he was thinking 2 grand (I'm probably not going to want to give that much, worth it or not). It was very clean with 98K on it and it ran really smooth, with the exception of the knock. Looked like a loaded interior with leather of course.

Old 12-31-2005, 04:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A Jasper motor is $2400 for you and I (cheaper if you are an installer or know one).

I wouldn't spend $1000 on a used motor even if it only had 20k miles on it. You don't know jack about that used motor, while a reman unit is essentially brand new with all revised parts.