2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 Blazer Hesitation issues, pos

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Beginning Member
Dartanian81 is on a distinguished road
Default 97 Blazer Hesitation issues, pos

Okay truck starts up fine, Idle's okay except for a small RPM dance of maybe 800 rpm's.

However whenever starting from a dead stop the motor spits and sputters until about quarter throttle, and when I punch it she snaps right out of it fine.

I just added a Cold Air intake, but the blazer had the hesitation before installing just not as serious.

I just cleaned the Maf sensor. It wasn't even dirty.

I cleaned the Throttle body. Also was not dirty.

It's not an O2 sensor. I just redid them.

To me, It sounds like either I need a new spark plug wire somewhere or distributor. When it rains I have issues starting, I figure it's cracked. Would this cause other prolonged issues even after cleaning with some WD-40?

Or It's the throttle body Sensor, seems like there is a dead spot in the throttle just passed Idle...

I guess I just need some expert advice, if anyone has some.

Before I start taking stuff apart that doesn't need fixing... You know how that goes!

=)

Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Beginning Member
jdub9000 is on a distinguished road

check your idle air control solenoid.... that controls your idling and bumps up the idle when you kick on the a/c, come to a complete stop, turning the wheel when not moving or adding anything that would pull the engine down.... most of the time they are carboned up and need cleaning but DO NOT try to push or pull on the moving parts on the inside cuz that can ruin it immediately

Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Does the Service engine soon light come on? Are there any DTC's pending, in memory, or in the history file? Those will be your clues. If there's a problem with any of the sensors, it will set a DTC in memory. Did you use AC Delco tune up parts? (distributor cap, rotor & plugs) Have you checked fuel pressure and leakdown? Have you checked camshaft retard?

Old 03-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks Jdub but I believe my IAC is working properly.

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Does the Service engine soon light come on? Are there any DTC's pending, in memory, or in the history file?
No service lights, no diagnostic codes...

[/quote] Did you use AC Delco tune up parts? (distributor cap, rotor & plugs) Have you checked fuel pressure and leakdown? Have you checked camshaft retard?[/quote]

I wouldn't know if the plugs rotor and dist. are Ac Delco, it's a fairly new truck to me. I assume they probally are not considering the guy who owned this truck before me couldn't even get off his butt and change a spark plug. Most likely it's all OEM.
I was under the impression that the truck would run crappy at all stages of the throttle not just the first inch.

Idle is fine, purrs like a kitten. After about 1500 rpms it comes out of it's stuper and really goes well. When I let off, then stomp on the throttle again it responds nicely. However from a dead stop, it basically chokes itself until I get a few mph and quarter throttle in it.

No I haven't checked the fuel pressure, I'm quite certain that this is not the problem, as I have stated no codes, no other problems in the throttle except for the first inch or so when just starting off from a dead stop.

I have not tested the camshaft retard, don't even know how. I'm not even going to try, i'm going to let a shop do that if it comes down to it.

This chevy is on my last nerve.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Beginning Member

I discovered a faulty Spark Plug wire, and to think they all looked brand new... I put on a new set of High mileage plus wires and the blazer is working well now. Thanks for replies!