2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 Blazer rear bumper tow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006 | 09:16 PM
kids blaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 97 Blazer rear bumper tow?

While I search through the arcives, I thought I'd ask:
Can I use the rear bumper to tow a Honda Civic and two wheel dolly?

Any place to view an online owners manual?
Thanks!

Old 05-03-2006 | 10:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 97 Blazer rear bumper tow?

Yes, you can view your factory owners manual (and download it for that matter) from MyGMLink.com. You will have to register.

About towing with your factory bumper... I wouldn't go rammin' around with it, but it shouldn't have too much of a problem with a dolly and civic.

As with towing with any vehicle, take your time. Don't be in a hurry. Make sure that all of your tires are up to their proper pressure and that your brakes and shocks are in good condition.

I don't think I have to say this, but make sure that the hitch ball is the proper size for the trailer/dolly you will be using.

Old 05-04-2006 | 09:29 AM

Thanks for the link and reply.

I'll have to see if the towing capacity is in there, then see if U-Haul will rent a dolly using that setup, they'll probably require a Class lll hitch though.

Old 05-04-2006 | 09:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

LOL Nevermind...

Here's what it says on the U-Haul site under tow dolly:
from U-Haul.com - Tow Dolly (<----click)

Your towing vehicle:

* Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV. U-Haul does not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard top to tow U-Haul equipment.
* Must weigh at least 3,500 lbs. (curb weight), and at least 750 lbs. more than the vehicle being towed
* Must have Class 2 tow hitch (3,500 lbs. minimum weight-carrying rating)
* Must have 1-7/8", 2" or 2-1/8" hitch ball (3,500 lbs. minimum)
* Must not exceed maximum allowable hitch ball height 25"
* Must have external mirrors on both sides
* Must have fully operational lighting
* Tow dolly lighting must be operational at all times, day and night, loaded or unloaded
* Maximum recommended speed is 45 MPH

The vehicle being towed:

* Must not weigh in excess of 3,450 lbs. if it is front-wheel drive, and 3,900 lbs. if it is rear-wheel drive
* Must have a maximum outside-to-outside tire width of 72"
Note: outside tire width over 69.5" must use a swivel-platform U-Haul Tow Dolly.
* Must not exceed a body width (at the doors) of 75"
Note: body widths over 72" must use late-model U-Haul Tow Dolly (identifiable by silver galvanized color)
* Must have a maximum wheelbase (distance from front axle to rear axle, usually posted on the driver's side door jamb) of 133 inches.
* Low-hanging equipment on the vehicle being towed such as spoilers, air dams, ground effects, etc., may be damaged by contact with the tow dolly during loading and unloading. Make sure there is enough clearance for these items.
* Tow lights (tail/stop/turn) required at rear of vehicle being towed

Old 05-04-2006 | 10:47 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

that's kind of crazy as for me to rent the 6x12 u haul trailer to help me move....didn't have hardly and specifics about it...why would it be so different for a car?

Old 05-05-2006 | 12:02 AM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah just had a look at that U haul site about a month ago. One reason I didnt want to jump in here, on this post. I didnt want to spread negative feelings? A fellow ought to be able to tow something with a truck, right?

What is the weight of one of these in a 4 door, with 4.3?

Is it possible to actually get legal for a car trailer? I consider a dolly as being a unit where you only have the front wheels off the ground? A trailer as having the whole car on it? Am I correct in assuming this? I feel like I am wrong??

I'd like an answer even though its off topic. I apologize in advance.

U-haul has seemingly always used a 2 1/4 hitch (on trailers anyway) and if you have your own hitch the ball will have to change (I believe. ) Things change so often I cant be sure of anything. Now they say they can fit anything?? How can they adjust their equipment to fit my ball if its not the same?

Again Sorry.

Old 05-05-2006 | 04:48 PM

I just sprung for the Class lll hitch. Very easy to install and looks nice (tube style). Atleast I won't have to worry about pulling the bumper off.

Thanks for the quick help!

Hopefully I won't be posting from the road!