2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 Blazer wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Beginning Member
ftwflh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 97 Blazer wont start

Here is where I stand on this.My son said he ran out of gas.Added gas and couldnt get fuel past the filter.Will run if you puor gas into throttle body.Changed filter.Getting fuel to Throttle body.Still wont start with out pour in gas.Only runs until gas is used up.
How do you check the fuel pressure.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:23 AM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

If this was a diesel engine, I'd be all over it! I had a similar issue with my 69 C-20. I finally got it running just outta dumb luck. I'm interested in seeing what others have to say about this....

Old 04-11-2009, 11:27 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Attach a fuel pressure gauge to the schraeder valve on the fuel inlet line behind the throttle body and follow the steps in this post.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:07 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

If he ran it down to empty maybe some crud got past the filter and clogged the throttle body. Can you see if the tbi is actually spraying fuel?

edit: The 97 had a tbi and not the spider?

Old 04-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Beginning Member

I hooked up a gauge to it and shows 20lbs with the key on.Cycled the key a few time it would got up to 22lbs.
Would this be the fuel pump?Or something else

Old 04-13-2009, 07:59 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that the fuel pump is toast. When you replace it go with AC/Delco, the money will be well spent. Also, don't let the tank get below about 1/4 full so the new pump does not overheat and fail early. The fuel surrounding and going through the pump keeps it cool.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Beginning Member
Unhappy

tell a 16 yr old not to let it get under a 1/4 tank

Old 04-13-2009, 08:18 PM
BF Guru

I try to limit my opinions here to operating issues with Blazers.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree that it definitely sounds like a bad pump. Run through the fuel system diagnostic thread located in the Tech Article (DIY) section as it will give you some additional checks to perform to narrow it down.

The 96 through mid-02 motors were called SCFI (sequential central fuel injection) which had 6 individual electronic injectors in a common injector housing. Each injector then had a flexible line which delivered fuel from the electronic injector to a pressure actuated poppet nozzle which was located in the intake runner. So these were no TBI fuel systems, but rather sequential multi-port fuel injection systems.

The 93-95 CPI motors were batch fired multi-port injection systems.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Beginning Member

New fuel pump cured the problem.Thanks

Quick Reply: 97 Blazer wont start