2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 Blazer wont start... Changed the Fuel pressure reg

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Beginning Member
Edelbroke is on a distinguished road

The truck sat for at least a year inop. I just got home from the auto store. Bought a new spider, (the conversion to mfi) for$299 fuel filter and a pressure tester. If this stuff doesnt work the last big ticket item will be the fuel pump... Ironically the spider was what I payed for the whole truck. Off to the driveway to freeze my *** off!!

I have 60 lbs of pressure with the key on, it will run for about 3 seconds and has 58-59 lbs will it runs then dies. I did change the fuel filter. (checked pressure before I changed it, still had 60 lbs.) Before I throw that $300 spider on i'm going to search for anouther post I saw where the symptom was it would run for a short time then shut off... It seems like if I just turn the key, dont touch the throttle it will run a hair longer, If I give it some gas it will rev higher, but die sooner. Sure seems like it isnt getting fuel. The new spider should cure this, I hope. Wonder if it could be a vaccum leak somewhere?

It starts runs for about 3 seconds then dies. Could this be the crank position sensor?

New spider(conversion)-It runs!

Now going to chage the oil, slap a forsale sign in the window and send this baby down the road!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the replies everyone

Last edited by swartlkk; 11-24-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Beginning Member

Well I've been driving this truck for a few days now and noticed some more things maybe related to what I've done to it...

Seems like when I start it about 1 or 2 seconds after its running the idle kind of lopes a bit and it will almost die. I've been catching it each time by giving it a little gas. I would think after putting in a $300 spider I should be able to reach in through the window and turn the key and it should idle on its own. (once it's running it will idle fine)
AND
The truck doesnt seem like it's making the power it should on the highway. Seems like im always pushing the gas down to keep the speed I want. I filled up the gas tank today, drove 96 miles and have a little over half a tank left. My 454 dually will do better than that. I have no idea how this truck ran before I did the work to it, because I bought it not running. All I can think of now is beacuse the old fuel injector spider went bad, maybe it did so slowly and now the Catalytic converter is pluged up?
Also: The service engine light is on because of the MAF sensor. I had my local auto store read the code. The push in sensor on the left side of the lower intake. Would that make it have no power? thank you

Old 12-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

MAP is the push in sensor on the left side of the engine looking at it from the front of the vehicle. The MAF sensor is the large sensor in the intake duct just after the air box.

What was the specific code?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Beginning Member

It was the MAP sensor. Not the MAF. I dont know the code. They brought up a picture of the sensor on their computer. I recognized it right away from just having my upper intake off.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Old 12-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Beginning Member

It's possible. He did show me the scan tool. I dont remember. I'll have to take it back and do it again. They had a map sensor in stock, would changing the sensor and clearing the code possibly fix this?

Old 12-02-2010, 01:19 AM
Beginning Member
chevygonzalez is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Since the regulator is inside the plenum, it is exposed to engine vacuum without the need for any hoses.
Swartlkk is right. You had stated:
"...When I had it apart to change the regulator the spider/hoses were full of black crap as was most of the lower intake. I cleaned everything before I put it back together..."

Did you use new gaskets and check for cracks?

Old 12-02-2010, 04:17 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by chevygonzalez
Swartlkk is right. You had stated:
"...When I had it apart to change the regulator the spider/hoses were full of black crap as was most of the lower intake. I cleaned everything before I put it back together..."

Did you use new gaskets and check for cracks?
Yes to both.
I had it apart twice. First time I changed just the fuel pressure reg. Cleaned everything, put it back together with all new gaskets. When that didnt fix it I but the new updated spider. Also used a new gasket set that time, although probably didnt have to. It was only 1 day since I had it apart...

Anybody??? How will a bad MAP sensor affect performance?

I can see myself cutting the cat off this truck and straight piping it just for good measure!

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-03-2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Patience man... Please do not bump a post until you have waited at least 24 hours as stated in the rules of the forum!

Could you do a quick synopsis of the symptoms, what you have done, and the result of each thing you have checked/changed?

Kind of irresponsible of you to just hack off the catalytic converter. Illegal too.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Beginning Member
93formula is on a distinguished road

Yes a bad map can affect performance. Any cel should be corrected so you can rule it out. As for the cat it's also possible that a clogged cat will give your the symptoms your describing on the highway. As for the crappy gas mileage have you done a full tune up?