2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 Jimmy will not start

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Beginning Member
LordOfWar is on a distinguished road
Default 97 Jimmy will not start

The engine will turn over fast like it is out of time, and it will not fire. I don't believe that it is a fuel problem because it will not fire at all even with starting fluid, or if it is primed. The guy that I am having work on it says that it is not getting any spark. He has replaced the crank sensor, cam sensor, timing set, distributor, ignition control module, and has tested the key switch/ignition switch. None of this fixed the problem. We are both stumped on this one, and I would appreciate some advice so I can get it back on the road.

Last edited by LordOfWar; 04-23-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it won't start with starting fluid, that would actually indicate an ignition problem (like the guy working on it stated). Although I do not know why he would go through all of those items without first diagnosing the problem...

Are there any codes present?

Old 04-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If it won't start with starting fluid, that would actually indicate an ignition problem (like the guy working on it stated). Although I do not know why he would go through all of those items without first diagnosing the problem...

Are there any codes present?
No codes, and I didn't buy all those parts he pulled them off of a running Blazer that he has to try to narrow it down. He is telling me that it is the ECM, but he has told me several times it was something that it ended up not being and I really don't want to drop the $160.00 on something that I don't know will fix it. Is it a chance the computer is bad? Anyway to find out for sure?

Old 04-24-2010, 07:40 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

When it does not start are all the dash lights out-in other words turn it to start position-are any dash lights present? 97's were famous for ignition switches with the symptoms mentioned..LOL-jp ps dash lights meaning...abs, ses, seat belt, etc.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Peru Motors
When it does not start are all the dash lights out-in other words turn it to start position-are any dash lights present? 97's were famous for ignition switches with the symptoms mentioned..LOL-jp ps dash lights meaning...abs, ses, seat belt, etc.
I'm not sure since he has it at his house 60 miles away and I haven't seen it in six months, but I will ask him. Another thing that I just thought of is that I had to unplug the interior lights because they would flash and turn on and off while I was driving. Is it possible that I have wiring that is bad somewhere that's causing the lights to flash like that and causing it not to start?

Old 04-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Beginning Member

bump.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that flashing interior lights would indicate is that one of the door switches is not opening up properly when the doors are closed. If it were to drain the battery, it would cause a rather obvious no start, but other than that, the two systems are not linked in that manner.