2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

'98 Blazer Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Prozon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default '98 Blazer Issues

So i've had my blazer for awhile, and I have a few issues i'd like to ask about.

1.) My windshield wipers are stubborn!
Basically, I can use them driving in the morning .. but then later in the day they won't work. So far I have noticed they almost ALWAYS work in the morning, but never any other time. If I pull the plug on the motor a certain way I can get them to work, but only when I have pressure in a certain direction. They will work for ages if I keep the pressure on the plug. Whats causing this and how can I fix it?

2.) My dome lights are messed up!
I'm not sure if this was caused by replacing the speakers. (All four door panels have been off and are back on.) I had to remove the bulbs for my dome lights because they would not shut off. The dome override button wouldn't turn them off either. What would cause them to be on all the time and how can I fix it??

3.) Vacume Issues? Heater
I think I may have a vacume leak. I have a problem with my heater not blowing where it should. If I switch to defrost only it still blows out of my vents. I heard that it was a vacume issues that could be accociated with my 4x4. Any help to fix it would be appreciated.

4.) Vacume Issues? 4x4
My 4x4 does not work and I think it may be a vacume thing aswell. I can press the button and the light will switch to either 4 low or 4 high and stay there. I can also hear the differential do something, but my tires will not spin while i'm in 4x4. Where is this vacume line located??

Thanks in advance if you can help with any of the problems.
Any more questions i'd be glad to answer.

(Sorry about jumbling all of these in one post. I just don't feel like making a million new threads.)

Old 03-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Starting Member
1998MSO is on a distinguished road

Hello,
Your wiper issue is familiar to me. Here is link on a Do it yourself tech article from this forum:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-articles-diy-29/fix-cold-solders-wiper-motor-36236/
Evidently the solder joints on the pulse board have issues. I decided to order a new pulse board off of ebay for about $20.00. It fixed my wiper problem and they now work great.

Regarding the vacuum issue to the heating control and 4x4, I would use the search feature in this forum to look for answers. I've seen numerous posts and even the vacuum diagram for the HVAC controls posted, so it's also a familiar issue here.
Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:27 PM

I really appreciate the quick response. I've been using Rain-X for awhile now. Hopefully I can get the wipers fixed up soon haha.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Starting Member
1998MSO is on a distinguished road

Changing the pulse board was really easy to do. I wish I had done it a long time ago. I was going to try to re-solder mine as the tech article shows, but I don't have a soldering iron and don't think my soldering skills are any good!
Search "pulse board" on ebay for a new replacement. Obviously someone discovered they could make a few bucks by offering these replacements.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:37 PM
jjnemoiii is on a distinguished road

RE: Dome lights - Have you tried to manually push in the door switch? Have you "exercised" it back/forth several times? Does that shut off the dome lights? You didn't roll up the dash light switch to manually turn them on did you? I did that many times and forgot. FWIW, in my older blazer, also a 98, there was a timer that shut them off automatically after a preset time. Found it out when I came outside in the dark, and when I started the blazer, the dome lights stayed on, instead of shutting off with the engine now running. Rolled the dash light switch down, dome lights go off.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:33 PM

I think I will try to resolder the pulse board. If I cannot, no harm done, i'll just go buy a new one. (I think they're only like $30 from autozone??)

Replying to jjnemoiii;
No, the dash light switch is not the reason for the lights staying on. And pressing the dome override doesn't do anything. As for the preset time.. well mine has that too, but it NEVER wanted to shut off.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:42 AM
jjnemoiii is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I was not thinking dome overide, but the actual door switch that is supposed to shut off the lights when you close the door. Have you tried to manually push that in and see if it shuts off the dome lights? I believe it is on the end of the dash panel.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:17 PM

Pushing in the door switches do not do anything to shut the lights off.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Starting Member
98HeavyChevy is on a distinguished road

my rear gate is rusted from the inside and the push button lock sometimes sticks in. The rear hatch window will close, but the dome light stays on untill I pull the push/lock button out again. Time for more wd40 I think.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:29 AM

I forgot about this site, I just got an email saying you posted so i'll follow up.

1.) My windshield wipers are stubborn!
2.) My dome lights are messed up!
3.) Vacume Issues? Heater
4.) Vacume Issues? 4x4

Replaced pulse board on wiper motor and they worked perfect for a week or two, then went out COMPLETELY. I said **** it and I just put rain-x on the windshield.

I don't have any dome lights now, removed them all.

Never figured out the heater thing, I suspect the actual climate control area.

The little actuator thing on the 4x4 was bad. ( The thing under the battery. )