2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Blazer seatbelt Torx bolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

I don't think I have ever had the screwbuster fail me. The good thing about it is if you need more inward pressure just squeeze the trigger more. Be sure to work it slowly as you put more presssure on. I like to kinda rock it back and forth (loosen/tighten) as I pull the trigger on the hammer/gun. That's a pretty big bolt to be drilling out. Hate it when that happens.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Beginning Member
JeremyNYR is on a distinguished road

The drivers side torx bolt goes through the floorboard so you can hit it with PBlaster from below. The passenger side goes to an enclosed area of the floor board with no access from underneath.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Beginning Member
4pt9fiero is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Gimpy Blazer
If you know any airplane mechanics ask them if they have a "screwbuster". It's a tool we use to get screws and bolts out that are a real bit!! It goes into a .401 shank rivet gun or air hammer and has a (usually) 3/8" male socket fitting on the end. You put it in a pneumaric gun/hammer, put whatever socket you want on the other end and it has a handle that sticks out for you to loosen the screw/bolt/whatever. Just squeeze the trigger as you push hard and turn the handle lefty loosey. Works like a champ. Here's one place you can buy one. Everyone should have one. Pretty selfexplanatory when you see it. Kinda like an impact only better for what you want.
http://www.browntool.com/Default.asp...cProductNumber
I love it when I find a "cool tool" I can add to my collection!

Thanks

Old 06-09-2010, 03:00 PM

Well this is it bro. Saved my *** more times than I can count. I'd definately go with the 8" one. You can buy adapters for screws or just use it on bolts.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Dan 128 is on a distinguished road

I don't see the need for buying a special tool when a drill you already own will have the job done in say a hour. How long is it going to take to locate the tool? How much does it cost? How much gas to go and pick it up, and while your out your going to spend money on lunch or dinner!!!
Break out the drill, find a good sharp bit, or sharpen it yourself and have it done in less time that it take to break a sweat. It's just one or two bolts.
I did mine with a 20 year old Craftsman 3/8" drill and a cheap set of bits from Harbor Freight. Then chases the thread with a 1/2-13 tap and an adjustable wrench.
Get'r'Done!!

Old 06-09-2010, 11:12 PM

To each his own. I use mine all the time and have for the 15 years I've owned it. Besides, I put the same bolt back in. They usually don't sell these tools everywhere anyway. The guy wanted to get the bolt out. This is my suggestion. If he wants to use a drill bit more power to him. I wouldn't (and haven't on my 84 Jimmy about 5 years ago and will use it again (probably) this year when I take it out again.

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 06-09-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Beginning Member
LinkTGF is on a distinguished road

@ Dan 128:

The only reason I don't want to use a drill to bust it out and then retap the hole is because of the integrity of the seatbelt's strength. Personally I don't want to mess with something like that, plus it gave me an excuse to finally buy an air compressor and an impact wrench set More updates this weekend!

Old 07-08-2010, 02:07 AM
southpaw is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem a few weeks ago with mine. As it turned out, after calling my Pops, I was informed that GM likes to screw with their customers and throw in odd sized nuts and bolts on their vehicles. If I'm not mistaken that one (and the ones that hold on the spare tire mount) is a 47 Torx. I went and bought one and keep in my truck just in case.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:55 AM
Beginning Member
JeremyNYR is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by southpaw
I had the same problem a few weeks ago with mine. As it turned out, after calling my Pops, I was informed that GM likes to screw with their customers and throw in odd sized nuts and bolts on their vehicles. If I'm not mistaken that one (and the ones that hold on the spare tire mount) is a 47 Torx. I went and bought one and keep in my truck just in case.
I tried a T47 and a T50 and found that the T50 fit better.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Starting Member
01BlackBeauty is on a distinguished road

Have you tried penetrating oil on the threads from the underside as others have suggested? If you're having trouble locating it just measure the distance from the screw's head to the door jam. Line your eyeballs up with the screw, measure out the same distance on the under side of the floorboard and look in that general area. Heat the threads with a hand-held torch and shoot it with penetrating oil while it's still warm. Let it sit for a few minutes so the penetrating oil can migrate into the threads then remove the screw. If that doesn't do it then the drilling/e-z out routine may be your only option - especially if the head of the torx screw has been stripprd out from unsucessful removal attempts.

Quick Reply: 98 Blazer seatbelt Torx bolt