2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 4x4 wont stay engaged

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Beginning Member
evader68 is on a distinguished road
Default 99 4x4 wont stay engaged

iv got a 99 4x4 it wont stay engaged in 4x4 has new diaphram that was under battery tray and has a new tcv switch that was on top of transfer case im pretty sure my hoses are good also my heater control selector does nothing heat comes out at defrost and vent at same time any help would be greatly appreceiated also the tccm under the kick pannel clicks when buttons are pushed it goes in 4x4 for about ten feet from stop then slips out

Last edited by evader68; 12-10-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have a vacuum leak that you need to find. The front axle engagement actuator & the HVAC system both use manifold vacuum to operate.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Beginning Member

iv got good vaccum at the diaphram seems to be pulling cable far enough could there not be enough vaccum when connected the diaphram sucks all the way in

i just got this blazer and i believe the dash has been removed also there was alot of screws missing

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-10-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How far is the cable being pulled?

3-button or 4-button switch in the dash?

Old 12-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Beginning Member

its being pulled atleast a half inch or more i cant make it sqeeze any further buy hand it is 3 button 4x4 2hi,4hi,4lo

Old 12-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Administrator

0.5" to 0.75" is the proper range of motion for the actuator.

The next step is to jack one front wheel off the ground. With transfer case in 2HI and the actuator/cable pulled in (either manually, or by applying engine vacuum directly to the actuator), try to spin that front tire. If the front driveshaft spins, then the front axle is properly locking in place. If it doesn't, then you have a problem with the front axle engagement mechanism.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Beginning Member

ok i do believe tyhe cable is beeing pulled far enough as i can feel it engage but as soon as i put any load on 4x4 it clunks and slips out it does it in 4lo and 4hi i have air blowing out my dashvents and defrost vents it doesnt change when i move switch either could the 4x4 problem be my shift fork or maybe i dont have enough vac what does vac bleedoff do does the 4x4 bleedoff to stay engaged

Old 12-12-2010, 12:35 PM
AutomagicLS1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2000 Blazer is doing the friggin exact same thing! I think it's a vacuum leak but i'm not sure where

Old 12-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Beginning Member

im going out in a minute to change heater control just fir the heck of it lol could it be that i dont have the resivoir for the vaccum on driver side of hood help im lost lol

changed heater control and nothing happend got to looking under behind glovebox heard a slight hiss so i think hearing is bad lol on the heater vac hoses there a grey one that goes to a actuater od somesort i unpluged the hose from the pump and plugged it and now my heater vents work great still no 4x4 boo hoo

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-12-2010 at 03:12 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:51 PM
AutomagicLS1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by evader68
changed heater control and nothing happend got to looking under behind glovebox heard a slight hiss so i think hearing is bad lol on the heater vac hoses there a grey one that goes to a actuater od somesort i unpluged the hose from the pump and plugged it and now my heater vents work great still no 4x4 boo hoo
Where exactly is the hose you unplugged in the dash and how do you get to it? Picture?

Quick Reply: 99 4x4 wont stay engaged