2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 Blazer: Engine knocks now/Trannie shot?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 03:42 PM
99chevy is on a distinguished road
Question 99 Blazer: Engine knocks now/Trannie shot?

Ok, heres my story... I just bought this blazer about a month ago. It had just over 220 thousand miles on it. When I bought the 4x4 switch was out or going out. Everynow & then it comes for a bit then goes away agian. The lady I bought it from had been driving in 3rd for a better drive.

Soo, a week after buying it my radiator goes out. Replaced that. The the trannie lines came off or broke. Lost all the trannie fluid both times. Both times had to put 7 or more quarts back in it. Determined it was becuase the clips were dry rotted & after replacing the radiatior they broke.

Got all that taken care off, hadnt had any new problems in the last week. I was going home, I had been driving it in Drive for better gas millage. I had notice the day before it wasnt acclearting as good as it had been. After driving about 15 miles through the city, I get on the highway. I realize I cant go over 40, its straining to do that & the RMP's at almost in the 5's. I pulled over to the shoulder & i'm reving it & its looking fine, so I tried to get back on the highway & everytime i tried to floor it, same problem as before. so i get back off the high way & go through town to get home & its just getting worse. By the time I got home, it's barely doing 20 & the RMPs are just way up there.

About a week after I got it, I tried to get it inspected I was told the belt tensioner ( i think) was loose & to replace it to pass. So while i'm trying to get home I'm hoping the tensioner thing just broke & my surpertine belt is off & thats my problem. Oh, & the day before it died the((ABS)) light kept coming on, on the dash. It stayed on most of the day before & then went off the next day. My friend came over the next day to look at it. He says the trannie is shot, its throwing 3 codes that i cant remember. He thinks its from being drivin with the 4x4 sensor out for so long. He checked the oil & its now black sludge. It was new oil. The engine knocks is the only word I can think of to describe it. Soon as you turn the car on the engine light comes & its quiet for a minute. But if you sit & rev the engine for a few minutes you can hear the knocking & the more you keep rev'ing it, the louder it gets. As long as you dont go over 10 miles an hr, its does great. Anything higher then that & your screwed. So its parked in my driveway. Makes for a really pretty, expensive driveway decoration right now.

So, any idea's? I know I'm gonna have to replace or rebuild the trannie. Ok, I can deal with that. Any ideas on the engine? Is it shot, could it be the block or head? Anther friend said to put some Lucas Magic in it & it might kill the knocking? I really dont have the money to replace the engine as well, i'm holding out hope that something else can be done.... Thank you for any help you can offer. =)

Old 03-19-2011, 09:35 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

At least you've come to grips with rebuilding the transmission. Letting the fluid out will take care of a working transmission in short order. Once the clutches burn, particles move around and start their destructive nature on everything else.

The engine is probably a result of attempting to get anywhere with a failed transmission. My first thoughts are pulling the valve covers and possibly intake manifold and check the valvetrain. Spring broke or a collapsed lifter. I know those will make a clatter that can come and go.
If all that checks out well you could move to the bottom end and look at the rod bearings. Without hearing it it's hard to give a good diagnosis/suggestion.

Good luck. Now it's an even more expensive decoration since it turned out like this. Such is life with vehicles.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:53 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I'll inject some hope my 97 Blazer has a knock from about 1500 up with no load on it & about 3000 up under load. I have yet to find it. Oil pressure always reads 20psi @ idle hot & 40 psi above idle hot, 60 psi cold. But the good news I have is that this has been knocking for 70,000 miles & is no worse or better.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:49 AM
99chevy is on a distinguished road

Thank you both! I finially got the money up to either rebuild the trannie or replace it. Now i'm keeping my fingers crossed that its nothing to major with the engine. Now to find someone to rebuild the trannie without costing me an arm & leg! =)