2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 Blazer LS Rear End is shot..question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Beginning Member
KaciOhio is on a distinguished road
Question

I have a 1999 Blazer LS that the rear end just went out on. Can I use a different year to completely replace the rear end or another make/model of a vehicles rear end? Which ones? And does anyone have any idea how much a rear end could possibly cost me? CHEAP rear ends, I'm talking junk yard prices.

Also when I took the vehicle to my mechanic to put in a new tranny he did the pinion seal thing too, I don't know much about it but he replaced that thing, said it was bone dry and 2 days after I get my vehicle back the rear end is shot...Could he have put a part back wrong? Is it possible that he messed something up with a wrong part or improper installation of the new pinion thing...? lol I'm sry GUYS I don't exactly know what I'm talking about but its really very sketchy to me that after I put a ton of money into fixing the tranny and he says Ohh you need a need pinion thing that 2 days after he does it the rear end is gone...

Last edited by swartlkk; 04-28-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to include additional information in your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Prices vary. You are going to have to call around. As far as what you can get the axle out of... You will want to concentrate on the '98 thru '05 s-series trucks with the 7-5/8 axle.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks, I'm gonna start calling around today.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:58 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

To get an idea of prices go to car-parts.com they list hundreds of wrecking yards all over the country with varied prices & conditions. May find one or more in your area. As far as the mechanic replacing the pinion seal, if your Blazers rear end was out of oil from the leak the damage was done before he fixed the seal. So my opinion is the failure had nothing to do with him fixing a leaky seal.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:31 AM
Beginning Member

Ok I found one that is close to me for $100
2003 Rear Axle Chevy Blazer S10 3.42 GU6 REAREND W/WARRANTY
How can I tell if this is the one I need for mine its a 1999 LS 4x4

Old 04-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does your truck have the 3.42 gears? Your RPO code sheet located in the glove box should have GU6 on it if you do.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Beginning Member

Ill look and hopefully it does because $100 for a rear Axle seems to be a pretty good deal is there a way to tell by the Vin? Because I have that with me now that I can look at

Old 04-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Beginning Member

Figured out from the pinon seal box that its a AAM 7.625 does that get me close to what it is?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Nope. If you want to verify your rear axle ratio, pop off the rear diff cover and look for the number of drive and driven teeth. There will be two two digit numbers right next to each other on the outside of the ring gear. When dividing the larger number by the smaller number, you should get the ratio of the rear diff.