General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New here with a 02 blazer with shot intake gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Jorgen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New here with a 02 blazer with shot intake gasket

Here about my fiances 2002 blazer, we live in rochester michigan. I bought the Gaskets for it assuming that is the problem after reading around here. No wthe real question, does anyone have any how-to or info on the easiest way to pull this intake off. I can go into it and take it apart and figure it out as i go but might just save myself a little time if i have the info on how it is most easily done. Thank for any info
Scot

Old 09-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: New here with a 02 blazer with shot intake gasket

Welcome! I have actually prepared for this. I just did a coolant flush, but thought that my intake gasket was holding together fine. Now I notice a sweet smell underhood. I had all of the gaskets when I did the flush.

Anyway, I haven't done it yet, but here's what I know... Remove the fuel pump relay and attempt to start the vehicle to relieve fuel pressure. Unhook the battery. Remove all of the wiring from the sensors on top of the motor so that the wiring harness can be flopped off to the side. Disconnect all vacuum lines that run to the intake. Next, drain the coolant and remove the t-stat elbow and upper radiator hose. Remove the distributor cap and mark the location of the rotor in relation to the distributor body and mark the position of the distributor body to the intake manifold - I can't remember if the distributor body is allowed to rotate at all. From here on out DO NOT rotate the engine AT ALL. As you pull the distributor, mark the position of the rotor once it stops turning. Next, disconnect the fuel lines at the back of the engine, then disconnect them at the fuel injection spider and set the lines aside. Remove the throttle body. Remove the upper plenum. Remove the fuel injection spyder. Remove the lower intake and start cleaning!

You'll want to make sure to keep any debris out of the intake runners as well as keep the lifter/balance shaft valley exceptionally clean. I lay down some shop towels in the lifter valley and then try to keep a shop vac right at the tip of my scrapper while cleaning off the surfaces. I also stuff shop towels in the intake runners and vacuum them out after everything is all cleaned up.

I'm sure I've left something out, but this job should be able to be accomplished with general hand tools.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:31 PM

thanx man well i guess i am about to start this one... we'll see how it goes... hopefulyl be able to get it done tongith if not alway tomorrow evenign to finish...

Old 09-11-2006, 02:56 AM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point

goodluck on the repair.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:10 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Just don't over tighten the manifold bolts. the spec is 11 foot pounds.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:10 PM

Well got the work mostly done just need to tie up a few loose ends tonight, fill her up with coolant and change the oil and she should be ready to go.. i will say that this one a pretty big pain in the *** for as little work as really happens there.. ya i didn't have my torque wrench with me when doing it so i made sure they were tight but not over tight so hopefully no more problems...

Those gaskets were completely shot though, the rings around the fron two passages, one had a large crack that let the coolant go into the intake runners (that is where her missing coolant was going) and the other side was cracked completely in half, we're lucky it wasn't dumping coolant into the upper gallery and really messing things up.

Thanks again for all the help, now it is time to finish up the job clean it up nice and perdy and sell the thing so my lady can get the vehicle she wants.