2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

'99 Blazer Overheating / Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 12:12 PM
thethrill is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Racer_X
By rough idle, do you mean that it idles OK, then coughs or stumble from time to time? And the engine shakes when it sputters? Does it clear if you just barely press the gas pedal? Those symptoms are usually a dirty idle air control valve and clogged idle air passages in the throttle body.

Get a couple cans of "throttle body/intake" cleaner. Pull the idle air control valve. It's behind the throttle position sensor on the driver's side of the throttle body. There's a narrow air passage from the top of the throttle body behind the throttle bore down into that area. You'll probably find a bunch of carbon on the IAC valve plunger, and enough black "charcoal" in the air passages to have a barbecue. It's a little easier to thoroughly clean all the passages if you pull the throttle body off the plenum. Clean the bore for the IAC vlave, the passage above and the passage below until you see all shiny, clean aluminum, and clean the IAC valve plunger until it's nice and smooth. Put everything back together and see how much that improves things.

If vibration and noise are more noticeable when in drive than in park or neutral, your motor mounts might be week/broken as well.
Thanks a lot for the advice. I did clean the throttle body flapper top and bottom side last week thorougly, and the bottom side has over and eighth of an inch of buildup on it. I didnt do the passages or anything like that though. I will reinspect and clean all that I can and check the mounts also. I will report back regardless.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:31 PM

Finally got it fixed.

Radiator was bad. Replaced and now runs perfect temp.

Distributor was bad, replaced and idles perfect.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:32 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by thethrill
Finally got it fixed.

Radiator was bad. Replaced and now runs perfect temp.

Distributor was bad, replaced and idles perfect.
good news

Old 07-12-2016, 09:46 AM
Starting Member
Tuna is on a distinguished road
Default Over-heating Issue

You probably covered this, but I learned the hard way recently driving out of Florida, that you can suffer greatly from the lack of a $5 radiator cap. I will always carry a new one in the vehicle as a spare from now on.

You have my sympathies, as I too have found that the Blazer is the most problematic vehicle I have ever owned, and I'm sure I have more than a few years on you.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:06 AM

Ya, I'll never own another one haha. Not sure if I mentioned it or not, but I did swap Radiator caps early on, but didnt help.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:21 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tuna
You probably covered this, but I learned the hard way recently driving out of Florida, that you can suffer greatly from the lack of a $5 radiator cap. I will always carry a new one in the vehicle as a spare from now on.

You have my sympathies, as I too have found that the Blazer is the most problematic vehicle I have ever owned, and I'm sure I have more than a few years on you.
My blazer definitely has its issues. However, I had a 2000 Nissan sentra (built in Mexico) and I will never own another one. I owned it exactly 1 year to the day. I have never experienced a car with so many weird problems. My check engine light came on for a bank 1 sensor 1 code and it took 3 shops to figure it out. Nissan couldn't even fix it. Apparently the engine harnesses go bad on those. So compared to that car, the blazer is great. I actually traded it to someone for the blazer straight up.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:07 PM
Starting Member

Yes, I love driving the Blazer when it is operating well. However, there is always that uneasy feeling of "what next" when out on the road. My real concern is that the Blazer is getting old enough now that soon the parts stores will no longer maintain the inventories necessary to keep the vehicle on the road. It's getting rather vintage now. It will be a sad day when it's parked along side the 1954 Kaiser Manhattan in the field.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:42 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

There will be parts for these trucks for a long time

Old 07-16-2016, 09:41 AM
Starting Member

Yep. If you keep taking off all your original parts, I should be good for a while. I think you're gonna have a nice "Bad Boy" there.