Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

idle rough runs rough

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:24 PM
c10jm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default idle rough runs rough

i have 2000 blazer. It idles rough when you give it gas you a slight knock & the engine shakes & runs very rough. When you give it gas slowly it will run up the rpms & run pretty smooth. But driving my son says it misses badly & no power. My son drives & i haven't so i'm going on his explanation. We just cleaned the egr, though not sure if we cleaned it enough. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jeff

Old 08-11-2008, 01:10 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: idle rough runs rough

when was the last tune up? Spark plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor? Also a seafoam cleaning would probably do wonders.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:59 PM

We did a tune up last year so that shouldn't be a problem. He said he heard a bang right before it started acting up after he got gas. I thought at first it might be the cat but not sure. Is there a place on here where it shows where the idle air sensor is? My dodge wouldn't idle. After i cleaned the idle air sensor that took care of it. The check engine light did come on but we haven't run any codes not sure i want him to drive it anywhere. Thanks Jeff

Old 08-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The IAC valve is located on the throttle body towards the rear of the throttle body. It bolts in from the driver side. If you were going to clean it, I would remove the whole TB and give it a thorough cleaning.

While you are at it, I would remove the EGR valve and give it a good cleaning as well. Have a replacement gasket ready. A gasket with an integrated screen is available that helps reduce carbon fouling of the EGR valve.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Starting Member
gscrippler is an unknown quantity at this point

Iv'e read alot of posts on here describing a "big bang " before the truck starts running bad might want to check that cat

Old 08-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Monstro is an unknown quantity at this point

What the heck is a SEAFOAM cleaner??????

Old 08-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

google FTW!

Old 08-12-2008, 05:34 PM

The first thing i thought was the cat. I called a buddy of mine who is a retired G M mechanic. I hate to call him too much cause he does work on the side so i don't want to mooch off him a lot. He told to change the cap & rotor even though we just tuned it up last summer. Shure enough changed it, it idled & revved up just fine. He hasn't drove it yet but i think should be fine. My buddy told me the 4.3 's are bad about that for some reason. Thanks for all the replies maybe this will help someone else. Thanks Jeff