2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 Blazer Possible Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 04:46 PM
57butler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 99 Blazer Possible Fuel Pump

We have a 1999 4 door Chevy Blazer.
The engine will turn as we try to start it, but it won't start. We think it might be the fuel pump because we don't hear it turn on. Our 97 blazer had a fuel pump that we replaced, but we we're able to troubleshoot that because it was turning on but didn't have enough pressure...that one is fixed but now it's our family blazer...ugh.
Anyway, since we don't even hear the pump turn on how on earth do we troubleshoot? It seems wierd that we had an incredibly cold night, and the next morning it wouldn't start and hasn't started since. The weather is warm now. My husband put fuel in somewhere in the engine to see if it would start that way. Cause he did it with my truck and it started and ran for a couple seconds. But, with this truck, it won't even start when he does that.
Any troubleshooting tips would be wonderful and greatly appreciated.
He checked the switch under the dash.
It has a remote start, but I don't think it could be that. He has a habit of always thinking it's the remote start or alarm shutting it off [:@]That's how I lost my alarm on my truck. He ripped it out before thinking it was the fuel pump [:@]

Do Blazer's have a reputation for fuel pumps going bad?

Old 03-15-2008, 05:19 PM
03XBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 99 Blazer Possible Fuel Pump

If it won't fire even by pouring small amounts of gas or shots of starter fluid in the intake, I'd be looking for no spark issues. It takes three things to make an engine run, air-fuel-spark. You're missing one of these, and since you're breathing, I'm assuming it's getting air, check the air filter though, it's getting fuel, y way of him putting some in the intake, so my guess is it's not getting any spark. Check the connectors to all the ignition components, cap, plug wires, coil, ignition module, etc....

Old 03-18-2008, 08:55 PM

Thanksfor the response. We've been trying to get time and hoping it will start to warm up again to go check it out.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:03 PM
blazerboy124 is an unknown quantity at this point

my 97's been doing something similar, the engine will crank but doesnt start, but i had my fuel pump replaced along with my gas tank because it sat for a long time before i bought it and had rust in the tank. so mine will crank and not start, but if i wait for ever till the dash lights kick on, it will start right up...ignition?...wires?....relays?....ECU?...ICM? any thoughts?

Old 03-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

blazerboy, in your case, I would say it is the ignition switch as "i wait forever for the dash lights to kick on". That is a clear sign that the ignition switch isn't functioning properly. Not to drive this thread further off topic, but do you notice your security light coming on when you get the no start condition?

To the OP, I would check over your fuses and swap the relay for another like it in the fuse/relay center under the hood. If that doesn't turn up something, then I would try to get it to start with some fuel down the throttle body as 03XBLAZER has said. Just remember, when you have the air intake duct work off, you need to disconnect the MAF sensor for the engine to run.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Starting Member
danmiranda is an unknown quantity at this point

In all seriousness, I've had two fuel pumps go on my 97 blazer. Heres how I got it home. First check your fuses, make sure all is good, if you are certain its the fuel pump, and your Fuel Pump is dead, do the following.

Find a rubber mallet, go under you blazer, find the fuel tank, and bang hard on your fuel tank, usually dead center, where the fuel pump is. You actually might get it started, and get it home. Seems kind of barbarian, but it works, most of the time. Its a little trick my uncle taught me, hes a old school mechanic. However realize, if this works, your fuel pump is more than likely on its last legs, and if you have to drive it, try to avoid stopping, and get it as close to home as you can or home if you can manage. Also if you are on the road, hug the shoulder. First time I got it home. 2nd time it died center lane, major highway, morning rush hour. However if you can manage a tow is always better. If you can get it started this way, I can guarentee that it is the fuel pump.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:01 AM

He's checked the fuses. All good.
Still waiting for warm weather to check the plugs, distributor...etc. It's overdue for a tune-up anyway. Hopefully, that's our problem.
Now, my truck is starting to have problems...never ends. Lost my blinkers today, but hubby knows how to fix that. And, my passenger side mirror is duct taped on. I love my Blazer, I really do.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:51 PM

It was the fuel pump...very weird. Now that he installed the new fuel pump, it won't stay running. It stalls. Maybe cause of all the times he tried starting it...will keep you posted and thanks.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:36 PM

It's Running!!!!!!
He forgot to put the air cleaner back