2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 Blazer, unusual starting behavior

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Beginning Member
BB3439 is on a distinguished road
Question 99 Blazer, unusual starting behavior

On Saturday morning I hooked up the utility trailer to the Blazer and parked in in the front yard while I picked up sticks deposited by the latest storm, I left it parked there until mid afternoon. When I tried to move it, it just wouldn't start. It acted as if it wasn't getting gas. It would pop a few times and even caught a couple times, but never ran for more than a second or two. I hooked up the tractor and pulled it down to the driveway. Once in the driveway, I made another attempt and it start like there hadn't been anything ever wrong.

Answers to questions before they are aksed...
1. I checked for OBD codes and there are none in the history.

2. The spark plugs (Bosch) are new, been in for just a couple of weeks. I changed them because it's been hard on gas, much better now.

3. The gas is fresh, I fill up about every 200 miles, this translates to about every other day.

4. The tank was at roughly half full, 8 gallons filled it this morning.

5. The front yard where it was parked is slightly sloped, maybe a 5% grade, so the driver's side and rear were lower.

6. I've NEVER had to crank it to get it started, always starts within a second.

7. Midday temps were mid-70's with comfortable humidity.

8. I did NOT have the electrical for the trailer connected.

Anybody have an idea what might have happened?

Last edited by BB3439; 06-27-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It's possible that you are at the beginning stages of either a fuel pump failure or an ignition switch failure.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:33 AM
Beginning Member

I have my doubts about the ignition switch failing, but as the problem was occurring, I certainly believed that I wasn't getting fuel to the engine. Now that it's been mentioned, I did hear the pump running, possibly more than it should have been.

I sure hope that my fuel pump isn't going When I replaced the pump in my '99 GrandAm, the wholesale cost of the pump was $350.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Testing of either scenario is fairly straight forward.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:05 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

swartlkk is correct! You have a fuel delivery problem,compounded with the slope the vehicle may have been on at the time. And NO the fuel pump for this unit will not cost anywhere near that! Do not pay list price for these parts! $150 is more like it! Really! Shop around! Best of luck!

Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks much for the info. When the fuel pump failed on my '99 GrandAm, it sent ODB codes indicating a open circiut in the fuel pump. The retail for the pump at the time was near the $475 mark, I got it for $350 through my brother-in-law and I used his shop to pull the tank, swap the pump and reinstall the tank. The only other costs that I had were the tank/line fitting tools that I bought 'cuz he didn't have a good set. I can't imagine what that would have cost to have a dealer replace it.

I'll assume that the pump is tank mounted like that on the GrandAm.