2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 Jimmy Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 03:51 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Yes, that is correct, however, the timing mark on the dampener will line up with the index mark on the timing cover when #1 piston is at TDC of the compression stroke, AND TDC of the exhaust stroke. If the distributor is installed incorrectly, you'll end up with the symptoms that you have, (same end result as installing the rotor 180 degrees off). I didn't see any mention of the distributor being removed must have been the previous owner. If you need direction in phasing the distributor correctly, the easy way, let me know.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:57 PM
litlmeal is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Yes, that is correct, however, the timing mark on the dampener will line up with the index mark on the timing cover when #1 piston is at TDC of the compression stroke, AND TDC of the exhaust stroke. If the distributor is installed incorrectly, you'll end up with the symptoms that you have, (same end result as installing the rotor 180 degrees off). I didn't see any mention of the distributor being removed must have been the previous owner. If you need direction in phasing the distributor correctly, the easy way, let me know.
Yes the distrubutor had been replaced by previous owner along with crank sensor,i also removed it and timed it again as i figured he had it 180 off as the way it sounded when i first started working on it, will it run if crank sensor has never been relearned? I do read rpms on my code reader when cranking engine over

Old 01-12-2016, 04:07 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Check the rotor first. If that's installed correctly, then it sounds like the distributor is out of phase.

The engine will still start and run without doing the crankshaft position sensor relearn. However, ignition timing and injector timing will not be correct. They'll be "in the ball park" though.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:28 PM

Check the rotor first. If that's installed correctly, then it sounds like the distributor is out of phase.

The engine will still start and run without doing the crankshaft position sensor relearn. However, ignition timing and injector timing will not be correct. They'll be "in the ball park" though.
Checked rotor and tried other direction but rotor doesnt right so that tells me that the rotor is correct. Let me know of your easy way to do the timing so i make sure its correct this time

Old 01-12-2016, 04:40 PM

Remove the distributor cap so you can see the rotor. Using a socket and ratchet on the crankshaft dampener bolt, rotate the crankshaft clockwise until it is positioned like this:

AND the distributor rotor is positioned like this, (or very close):

Next, carefully rotate the crankshaft one revolution clockwise until the crank lines up like the first image. DO NOT rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise. The rotor should now be pointing 180 degrees opposite of the "6". Remove the distributor and reinstall it so the rotor points to the "6".

Attached Thumbnails 99 Jimmy Wont start-43lvortecfinding1tdc-copy.jpg   99 Jimmy Wont start-334555.jpg  
Old 01-12-2016, 06:08 PM

Remove the distributor cap so you can see the rotor. Using a socket and ratchet on the crankshaft dampener bolt, rotate the crankshaft clockwise until it is positioned like this:

AND the distributor rotor is positioned like this, (or very close):

Next, carefully rotate the crankshaft one revolution clockwise until the crank lines up like the first image. DO NOT rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise. The rotor should now be pointing 180 degrees opposite of the "6". Remove the distributor and reinstall it so the rotor points to the "6".
Timing is good now. Its turns over great and fires a few times then stumbles but never fully starts like ni fuel

Old 01-12-2016, 06:11 PM
Old 01-13-2016, 07:16 AM

[QUOTE=Captain Hook;659966]Check it! [URL]https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/how-check-regulated-fuel-pressure-pump-max-output-leakdown-8

Fuel pressure with pump on runs about 64psi. Then drops to about 50 psi after 10 minutes with pump off. No external leaks seen in fuel system

Old 01-13-2016, 09:49 AM

Are those the readings at the service port, or at the fuel filter outlet? Both are needed for accurate diagnosis.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:45 AM

Are those the readings at the service port, or at the fuel filter outlet? Both are needed for accurate diagnosis.
Thats only at the service port. I will have to check pressure at filter in the next few days

Quick Reply: 99 Jimmy Wont start