2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 zr2 blazer spittin' and sputterin'

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Beginning Member
jmonshau is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
If the P1345 did not reset, it means the distributor gear is meshed properly with the camshaft, that's all. It does NOT mean camshaft retard is ok. Camshaft retard data might not even be "in the ball park". The crankshaft position sensor relearn needs to be performed and camshaft retard set correctly, before any acurate "engine running" diagnostics can be done. All calculations that the PCM makes are based on correct input data from every sensor. If the input data is not acurate, the engine will not perform correctly.
Well ill have to see what I can do, I keep getting cylinder 4 misfire, I have yet to diagnose it and find out what the problem is. But I have yet to get P1345 code again

Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

As long as the distributor is installed correctly, you won't get the P1345.

Camshaft retard must be adjusted within specs and the crankshaft position sensor relearn must be performed before any further diagnosis can be done. If the basics are not right, nothing else will be right. All calculations that the PCM makes are based on correct input data from every sensor.

EDIT: One of the things camshaft retard does is correctly identify which cylinder is misfiring. If the adjustment is incorrect, cylinder misfire identification will also be incorrect, meaning that #4 might not be the problem.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 03-04-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Beginning Member

As long as the distributor is installed correctly, you won't get the P1345.

Camshaft retard must be adjusted within specs and the crankshaft position sensor relearn must be performed before any further diagnosis can be done. If the basics are not right, nothing else will be right. All calculations that the PCM makes are based on correct input data from every sensor.

EDIT: One of the things camshaft retard does is correctly identify which cylinder is misfiring. If the adjustment is incorrect, cylinder misfire identification will also be incorrect, meaning that #4 might not be the problem.
Ok that makes more sence, how do I adjust the camshaft retard?

Old 03-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

In a nutshell, you need a high dollar scan tool. If you take the vehicle to a shop, the labor charge should be less than 1 hour to check and adjust it.

The adjustment aligns the camshaft position sensor with the camshaft, (hence the name, "camshaft position sensor"). Data from the sensor is used by the PCM for detecting and acurately identifying cylinder misfire. Live camshaft retard data stream can only be viewed on a scan tool capable of accessing it, (the el cheapo $500 jobbies that the auto parts stores use can not access it). Desired spec is zero degrees, with a tolerance of + or - 2 degrees. It's not something you can adjust "by ear" or "seat of the pants" The adjustment is done by slightly rotating the distributor. When it is adjusted correctly, the rotor segment is aligned with the terminals in the cap when the ignition coil fires. This reduces/eliminates the possibility of crossfire inside the cap, and extends the life of the distributor cap, rotor, ignition module and ignition coil. In extreme cases, (if it's off too far) it can destroy the ignition module driver in the PCM.

Camshaft retard, and its adjustment, should not be confused with "ignition timing advance", they are two totally different things. To adjust ignition timing on engines that have a pickup coil and reluctor wheel inside the distributor, (or ignition points) the distributor is rotated. On your engine, the crankshaft position sensor and reluctor wheel on the front of the crankshaft replace/eliminate the pick up coil & reluctor wheel in the distributor. As a result, rotating the distributor has no affect on ignition timing. The PCM has full control of ignition timing.

FYI: The camshaft position sensor can be disconnected without a noticeable difference in engine performance. It will set a DTC in memory and turn the SES light on and there will be no misfire detection. Hope this helps.

EDIT: The crankshaft position sensor relearn needs to be performed as well, also done with a capable scan tool. This synchronizes the crankshaft position sensor with the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 03-06-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Beginning Member

Okay that all makes sence but one part, rotating the distributor. Exactly how do u go about doing this seeing as its not an old school 350 where u can adjust all the timing and everything. By the looks of it, it doesn't look like it has any "play" in it to adjust it. Maybe I'm wrong or there's something I missed, I really do appreciate all the help, I'm fed up with this thing!

Old 03-07-2013, 04:18 PM

Good question! The inside diameter of the hole in the intake manifold that the distributor goes through, is larger than the outside diameter of the distributor. This allows you to rotate the distributor slightly, (more or less on an arc). It allows ~15 degrees of total maximum adjustment. If that's not enough to bring camshaft retard to proper spec, (zero degrees) the original hold down bracket must be removed and a hold down bracket for a SBC installed, Mr. Gasket Distributor Hold-Down Clamps 1009 - SummitRacing.com This will make the distributor fully adjustable. The only physical restriction is the CMP sensor contacting the intake manifold.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Beginning Member

Good question! The inside diameter of the hole in the intake manifold that the distributor goes through, is larger than the outside diameter of the distributor. This allows you to rotate the distributor slightly, (more or less on an arc). It allows ~15 degrees of total maximum adjustment. If that's not enough to bring camshaft retard to proper spec, (zero degrees) the original hold down bracket must be removed and a hold down bracket for a SBC installed, Mr. Gasket Distributor Hold-Down Clamps 1009 - SummitRacing.com This will make the distributor fully adjustable. The only physical restriction is the CMP sensor contacting the intake manifold.
Oh my god, thank you so much! I've been trying to figure that out for so long! I appreciate all the help! Again thank you so much!

Old 03-08-2013, 03:29 PM

You're welcome, let us know how it goes.