2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS light on Dash won't go out

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009 | 07:59 PM
cameronp29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it cost much to have them hook up the abs computer?

Old 09-16-2009 | 09:10 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

some places will do it for between $20 to $40. that's the one thing i liked about the OBDI system, any idiot could check their truck (or car), and just look up the codes for themselves.
ah, the good old days, hahahaha!

Old 09-18-2009 | 12:58 AM
Starting Member
ExplicitYourSelf is on a distinguished road

The (timken) hub I purchased came along with the sensor/harness & I took it to a break and alignment shop that my family & I have known for years. He diagnosed the abs system with the computer & mentioned that I have a bad abs computer. I will be sending my abs computer to that website that does the service for $130 soon... & will give you guys the results.

Old 09-22-2009 | 08:20 PM
ve3nsv is on a distinguished road

I just changed just my sensor on a 99 Jimmy 4x4 and it was a breeze and the sensor was around $55. Remove the wheel, remove the outer 18mm bolts holding the whole caliper assembly, pull the caliper off and tie it off to the side, pull the rotor off. Now you will see the ABS wheel sensor bolted to the hub assembly with one single allen head bolt. Remove the bolt and undo the 3 brackets holding the harness to the upper control arm and then unplug it up in the wheel well under the battery.

Reverse the process for the new one and your will be off to the races. The ABS light should go out as soon as the computer sees the proper operation of the new sensor as did mine.

As a side note I picked up my sensor from a local parts store here and I had to shim it as it was making contact with the hub. It took me a few tries as I had too large of an air gap and the ABS would engage under 15km/h. I finally got the spacing right and all is good so beware when buying cheap after market sensors.

Old 09-22-2009 | 11:55 PM
Starting Member
ExplicitYourSelf is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ve3nsv
I just changed just my sensor on a 99 Jimmy 4x4 and it was a breeze and the sensor was around $55. Remove the wheel, remove the outer 18mm bolts holding the whole caliper assembly, pull the caliper off and tie it off to the side, pull the rotor off. Now you will see the ABS wheel sensor bolted to the hub assembly with one single allen head bolt. Remove the bolt and undo the 3 brackets holding the harness to the upper control arm and then unplug it up in the wheel well under the battery.

Reverse the process for the new one and your will be off to the races. The ABS light should go out as soon as the computer sees the proper operation of the new sensor as did mine.

As a side note I picked up my sensor from a local parts store here and I had to shim it as it was making contact with the hub. It took me a few tries as I had too large of an air gap and the ABS would engage under 15km/h. I finally got the spacing right and all is good so beware when buying cheap after market sensors.
Before you replaced the sensor, did you ever take your car to get diagnosed?? If so what did they detect on your diagnoses??

Old 09-23-2009 | 02:14 AM
ve3nsv is on a distinguished road

The wire had rotted off right at the sensor and the ABS light was on. No need for any expensive diagnostic tools for that repair.

Old 09-23-2009 | 11:31 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ve3nsv
The wire had rotted off right at the sensor and the ABS light was on. No need for any expensive diagnostic tools for that repair.
i think ExplicitYourSelf was wondering what code was thrown out for yours.