2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

AC Evaporator

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:32 PM
steveblazer is on a distinguished road
Default AC Evaporator

I have a 1998 blazer and the Evaorator needs to be replaced...In looking at it can I remove just the right side (looking from the front of the vehicle)of the evaporator case and replace the evapoator coil, instead of removing the entire housing ? It seems to be made in two parts and would be a lot less work if I can just take off the drivers (the side that contains the blower resistor) side ???? Thanks

Last edited by steveblazer; 05-06-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you have to remove both sides.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Beginning Member
brcidd is an unknown quantity at this point

I've done about 6 or 7 of those- all by removing the driver's side half- but I don't take it out- I split the case by removing all the bolts, and then have a helper pull the halves apart and wiggle the evap out- the screen may need to be straightened upon re-install- but it sure beats pulling the other half out.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are by yourself though and/or doing it for the first time... I have never removed the outer case to remove the core only, but have to strip a truck. I am just trying to make sure that the OP does not damage something by taking a short cut that experience plays a role in having things work out right.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by brcidd
I've done about 6 or 7 of those- all by removing the driver's side half- but I don't take it out- I split the case by removing all the bolts, and then have a helper pull the halves apart and wiggle the evap out- the screen may need to be straightened upon re-install- but it sure beats pulling the other half out.
Thanks for the reply, I am going to give it a try, I have the new evap core here now and someone to help me hold it apart while I get the old one out and the new one in, I will let you know how itgoes !!!!! Steve

Old 06-09-2009, 11:38 PM
idr
Beginning Member
idr is an unknown quantity at this point

Ever replace the evap successfully ? I am about to do the same thing, along with the compressor, Dryer, Condensor hoses/hose fittings, serpentine belt, belt tensioner and idler pulley.

I have taken a few of these cases apart then in the junkyards, without fenders or engines in the trucks, comes out quickly that way. From what I have seen by doing this is yes, you can take of the right side and replace the evap. I cannot figure how anyone is taking the bolts apart then just spreading the unit? There are bolts on top, the bottom, in front and on the firewall. If you are not careful you may bust the abs case.

Its late and the pieces are outside but I believe there are no more then two bolts on top. two in the front by the dryer then two on the rear top that go in the firewall , one on the side and two on the bottom that go into the firewall. Its safer and easier tojust take the bolts out and completely remove the evap. You can then clean up the inside of the case and if you smoke, they have stuff at Arizona Mobil Air down here you put in the casing and the truck smells great after that.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:55 PM

Thanks for asking, Yes I did remove just the drivers side of the evaporator case and was able to slide the old coil out and get the new one in, total job took 4 and a half hours, a lot better than removing the complete case !!!!!! It now cools just fine and does not leak........ Steve