General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacing evaporator

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 12:11 PM
okmomw/blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacing evaporator

How do you get the evaporator out of a 2000 Blazer 4X4? I need to change mine and it is a booger to get to.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Replacing evaporator

[ol][*]Remove the fan shroud.[*]Remove the radiator.[*]Recover the refrigerant from the system.[*]Remove the compressor discharge hose assembly from the condenser.[*]Remove the evaporator tube from the condenser.[*]Remove the insulator retainer bolts and the upper insulator retainers.[*]Remove the condenser by pulling out on the top.
[/ol]

Now, that's what the book states, but I do not know if it is necessary to remove the radiator.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:47 PM
okmomw/blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

The evaporator is at the back of the engine not by the radiator at all. I have read some places where you have to take the dash off to get to it. It is covered in a box with a lot of screws that are hard to get to.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Woops. Yeah, my mistake. Clicked on the condenser section and didn't even realize it...

Let me see...

Evaporator Removal:
[ol][*]Disconnect the underhood lamp electrical connector, if equipped.[*]Remove the hood.[*]Remove the PCM.[*]Remove the coolant recovery tank.[*]Disconnect the electrical connectors from the grille mounted lamps if equipped.[*]Remove the right front headlamp assembly.[*]Remove the front bumper.[*]Remove the right wheelhouse panel.[*]Disconnect the radio antenna cable.[*]Disconnect the electrical connector for the horn.[*]Remove the right fender.[*]Remove the blower motor resistor.[*]Remove the accumulator.[*]Remove the evaporator tube.[*]Remove the evaporator and blower module heat shield mounting screws (Utility).[*]Remove the evaporator and blower module heat shield (Utility). IMPORTANT: Retain the evaporator and blower module heat shield mounting bracket for installation (Utility).[*]Remove the evaporator and blower module mounting bolts and nuts.[*]Remove the evaporator and blower module from the vehicle.[*]Remove the six evaporator case section to the blower case section retaining screws.[*]Separate the evaporator case section from the blower case section.[*]Remove the evaporator core from the blower case section.[*]Inspect the seals and replace as necessary.
[/ol]

So that's the proceedure from the book. Now, I don't know if it is absolutely necessary to remove the fender, but it very well may be. I'll let someone that has done it comment on this...

*EDIT* - Ha! What do you know... 2500 posts!