2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

AC with odor when first starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 11:29 AM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road
Default AC with odor when first starting

i just got the ac compressor and accumulator replaced. for the longest time even with my old compressor when i first start the truck and turn the ac on theres a mild scent of stagnant water/ mildew smell when its turned on...then a minute later its fine. what cause be causing this?

ive seen from checking other threads the evaporator vent line can be clogged. where is it and how can i clean it?

Old 07-21-2013, 11:51 AM
WitchingHour is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you shut your vehicle off with the AC still running? When you do this, the condenser and duct work are cool, and the water naturally in the air as humidity condenses in there. It's a good environment for mold to form.
If you're fortunate, and you caught it quick enough, you might be able to remedy it by spraying some cleaner specifically made for this purpose into the AC system. You'll run the AC on high with the recirculate button off, spray a copious amount into the external air inlet (just below the windshield wipers), and let it run for about 10 minutes. Shut it off, spray it into the internal vents - go especially heavy on the one by the passenger door, as that's how you'll access your evaporator coil). Then you let it sit for about 15 minutes or so with the windows up. If that doesn't do it, repeat the procedure. If that ultimately doesn't do it for you, then it becomes a matter of having to disassemble the dash and wiping down the ductwork and condenser, although I don't think yours will be that severe.
To avoid it happening again, shut your AC off a couple minutes before you shut your engine off.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:59 AM

yea i do leave it on when i shut the engine off, ive been doing that so i never forget to put it back on for the remote start. i guess what ill do from now on is shut it off a few miles from the house and when i turn the engine off turn the ac back on so itll be ready for the next time i start it

any brand cleaner you recommend? i just wanna make sure i buy the right one the first time lol

Old 07-21-2013, 12:28 PM

I just use whatever we have in the shop... I don't remember if it's ZEP or NAPA. It's not really something I have to do that often, and I've never had to do it anywhere other than the shop. Now for the evaporator itself, you'll want a foaming coil cleaner - you'll spray that one into the interior AC duct by the passenger door, and then you'll want a non-foaming cleaner for the ductwork. Any auto parts store carries the stuff, although it's really difficult for me to actually recommend going to Advanced, Auto Zone, or O'Reilly, just because I've had too many encounters with employees who hadn't the first clue what they were doing. But they should be at least able to point out where the sprays are to you.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:44 PM

haha yea thats the advanced down the road from me. im lucky if they know where anything is without having to ask four other associates haha. thank you for the quick response will have to pick some up tomorrow

Old 07-21-2013, 12:52 PM

Any time. That's what we're here for.