2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Air Conditioning woes...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Beginning Member
kinson33 is on a distinguished road
Default Air Conditioning woes...

Just inherited my grandpa's blazer, been mostly sitting for the past 4 years.

I've charged the freon twice now, re-checked and the pressure is back down to nothing both times. Obviously I'm not blowin any cold air. Do I have a leak or is that a compressor problem? Definitely need that AC with leather seats in south texas.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It definitely sounds like you have a leak. If the compressor were not, well, compressing, the system would maintain the pressure you put into it.

Most of the refrigerant now available has UV dye in it. Get our your CSI light and glasses and have a look around all of the hoses.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:53 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say you have a leak, but where it is, only a test can tell. Have an a/c man run a dye test to locate it.
And, once again, Fast-Fingers Kyle beat me to the answer.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Beginning Member

Turns out the compressor itself is leaking... I though the green looking stuff on the compressor was just from sitting for so long up in VA.

So... should I just put on a new compressor myself and recharge it or buy the whole kit and have them flush it?

Old 09-30-2009, 06:11 AM
Jason Rebellion is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kinson33
Turns out the compressor itself is leaking... I though the green looking stuff on the compressor was just from sitting for so long up in VA.

So... should I just put on a new compressor myself and recharge it or buy the whole kit and have them flush it?

I'd wait til it all leaks out again and it oughta be safe for you to change out the compressor, make sure you put the right amount of oil back in the new one before you install it, after that you will need to pull a vacuum on the system to charge it, might be easier just to swap out the compressor and let an ac shop recharge it

Old 09-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Jason Rebellion
...might be easier just to swap out the compressor and let an ac shop recharge it
Thats what I was thinking to do because I know I could handle that much, haven't done too much work under the hood with my cars but I'd like to think I'm mechanically inclined.

Just wasn't sure because all the parts stores and shops say to replace with the whole kit (drier and orifice tube) otherwise the warranty on the compressor is void.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:16 AM
cooper232 is on a distinguished road

so if there is green stuff on the a/c system thats from it leaking? i have green mold looking stuff all over the canister on the passenger side near the firewall.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Starting Member
1998MSO is on a distinguished road

I suggest if you replace your compressor you also replace the accumulator and orifice tube as well. The accumulator has a desiccant inside to absorb moisture and if the A/C hasn't worked in 4 years, you should change it. Contamination can also plug up the orifice tube and that will make a huge difference in how well the A/C performs. Both the accumulator and orifice tube are inexpensive and easy to replace.