2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 01:59 PM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alternator?

Anybody know what other alternators will fit my 95 s blazer? Its going for the ****s again. It currently has a 97ish sunfire alt. Blazer alts. seem to be hard to come by used.

Thanx
Jman

Old 02-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Alternator?

I would think that any junkyard should be able to give you a cross-reference sheet telling you exactly what vehicles have compatible alternators.

The thing you want to watch out for is that the alternators you put in have atleast the same output as the stock alternator for your truck. Especially when you have extra lighting.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:02 AM

I think my latest alt. amperage was a little low, it only lasted 40days. Mind you it was better then the stock alt. according to the gauge.

I'm going junkyard touring thismorn. Hopefully I find one, I don't want to get the monte out in this crappy snow. lol

Old 02-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Beginning Member
gsmollin is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Jman

Anybody know what other alternators will fit my 95 s blazer? Its going for the ****s again. It currently has a 97ish sunfire alt. Blazer alts. seem to be hard to come by used.

Thanx
Jman
Short life of alternators on GM vehicles usually indicates a failed belt tensioner. Replace the alternator, belt tensioner, and belt together.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:26 AM

Ok I found one from a 2000 Blazer, the guy says it will fit. But a parts store told me 95 Blazer is unique with 95 only. Any thoughts on that?

Whats a failed belt tensioner? warn spring. Pully still works freely.

Old 02-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Beginning Member
gsmollin is an unknown quantity at this point

The belt tensioner is the spring-loaded pully assembly that you have to release with a 3/8 square drive extension to change the belt. These assemblies have a notoroious history on Chevrolet cars and trucks. I went through 3 alternators on my last Chevy before I found out that the belt tensioner was killing them. Now I'm on my second alternator, and my second belt tensioner (3rd belt) on my 98 Blazer with 75k. The belt tensioners always seem to be fine, but apparently they do not control belt tension correctly under load after they wear. It's one of those things. It's up to you, but the belt tensioner is much cheaper than alternators.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: gsmollin

The belt tensioner is the spring-loaded pully assembly that you have to release with a 3/8 square drive extension to change the belt. These assemblies have a notoroious history on Chevrolet cars and trucks. I went through 3 alternators on my last Chevy before I found out that the belt tensioner was killing them. Now I'm on my second alternator, and my second belt tensioner (3rd belt) on my 98 Blazer with 75k. The belt tensioners always seem to be fine, but apparently they do not control belt tension correctly under load after they wear. It's one of those things. It's up to you, but the belt tensioner is much cheaper than alternators.
I know what the tensioner is, I was wondering what was faulty about them.
Anyways she's all fixed up. I had to replace the alt. anyway. The tensioner and belt can come next weekend. As for the 2000 Blazer alternator, its not a plug and play with a 95 Blazer. But a little handy work with a 90* die grinder and its good to go.

Thanx for the heads up on the tensioner.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:19 AM
frankjc is an unknown quantity at this point

I am on my 3rd rebuilt alternator in less than a year. The original faliure was that it was not charging anymore. The first 2 rebuilts sounded like they had birds in them after a while.