2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Always steaming heat!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:55 AM
JFeg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Always steaming heat!

I own a 1999 Blazer V6, automatic transmission, Auto 4WD and Computer Climate control. No matter what I set the temp-**** at, it is always at full blazing heat! Fan control works, it goes from zero to full storm reg. to setting. Air vents works as well, air is coming out where itĀ“s supposed to reg. to settings. AC works as well, when checked, the linings turns ice cold when running. IĀ“ve read somewhere that the main heater door could get stuck in its outer posissions, either at full heat or at full cold. Could this be whatĀ“s happend? Is there an easy way to check this? IĀ“ve been thinking about taking the wires off the main heaterdoor motor and measure the voltage as turning the temp. **** - is that a possible way? or can one reset the damn thing? or is it a computer issue - and what to do in that case? My son is under car mechanic education - do you think it is possible that this would be a case for him and his mates to fix? Please help as this is driving me crazy! I donĀ“t want to leave the car with my local Chevy dealer, as we live in Sweden that would cost a fortune and I donĀ“t trust them either!
Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated! If any one has pictures or any other info that would be great as well!
I know you guys have worked out solutions to all sorts of problem andI trust someone of you have had similar problems on your cars as well.
Why is the Blazer prone to be a such aproblem car?! All american cars older than 1975I have known before never, neverhad problems like this one!
I have to tell you that once this problem is fixed I will swap it in for a SAAB 9-5or Volvo V70as soon as possible, and probably have a fifties or early sixties Chevy or an other GM car for fun! Never ever that I will buy a newer american car again as this is the most expensive problematic car I have ever own!
Thanks in advance guys -I love this forum!

Old 12-30-2007, 01:31 PM
4x4willywill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Always steaming heat!

ok first off, dont trade it in for a volvo they suck , plus they cant go uphills very well. lol

second, i would try swapping out the switch/s whatever controls the settings for the heater/ac .. try a junkyard as you would be able to get pretty cheap and will work just as good as new (least ive been pretty good at finding good stuff at local junk yards )

Old 12-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The first thing I would do is make sure that the interior temp sensor is functioning properly. Sometimes they get clogged with dust and do not read properly. On my old '00 Bravada, this was located kind of above the driver's door and looks like a very small speaker grill.

But this does sound more like a air temp actuator problem which is an electronic actuator that is located on the far right top side of the HVAC housing and requires the removal of the dash carrier (the whole dash) to replace. Before going through all of that trouble, I would remove the RADIO BATT fuse for 30 seconds with the ignition OFF and then reinstall and turn the ignition to RUN and wait until the HVAC system goes through its checks (could take up to 2 minutes). If that helps, good deal, if not, atleast it only took ~5 minutes...

Old 12-30-2007, 02:06 PM

Thanks guys!
I can hear the temp sensor working with ignition on andengine off. Does it have a small fan ofits own? Which is the easiest way to get it out for control? IĀ“ve tried to get it outbut stopped as it seemed like I would break it or things near to it....
I will try the radiobatt fuse metod tomorrow!

Old 01-07-2008, 05:24 AM

Nope, the Radio Batt fusemethod didnĀ“t work - but I noticed yesterday, when the engine was hot after driving it, that when both thefan and direction **** is set to Auto and temp is set at full cold, hot air is coming out through the far left, far right and the two outletsin the middle. When temp is set to full hot, hot air is shifted downto the two outlets directed to the foot wells??....
Otherwise things are as before.
Swartlkk, how does one clean the temp sensor above drivers door (I heard it humm after I didthe fuse test)and do you have any other suggestions? Would a code scan help?

Old 01-07-2008, 06:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As far as the temp sensor is concerned, you can blow it out with compressed air.

I don't believe that the s-series trucks have a duct temp sensor, but I'll look into that if I get some time today.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:55 AM

Thanks Kyle!
I will clean the sensor and see what happens! Is it normal that one can hear it working?
This problem occured after jumpstarting the car several months ago - I donĀ“t know if this will help you in any way, just thought that IĀ“ll mention it...
What happened was that when we tried to get the car started every lamp and warning light in the dashflashed a couple of times then went back to normal when the car started, and since then I havethis problem. I changed both battery and alternator shortly after the jump start.