2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Another Fuel related question.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 12:14 AM
BlazerRJM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Another Fuel related question.......

Well, I thought I would update everyone as to the progress of this problem, up until 3 days everything was great, driving perfectly, smooth idle, no problems....nothing. Until 3 days ago when I parked the vehicle on the driveway in preperation of what was to come, some cold weather engine starting!! The snow gods dropped 12" of snow in one night. Needless to say I was excited about the possibility of using the blazer and having some fun, when the problems started. Excited to see if it would start in 10 oF weather, It cranked for about 5 seconds, trying to start, after about the third time it started, but it missfires bad and the idle was rough, I thought it would smooth out when warmed up, but it didn't, at idle I thought it was going to stop if I didn't give it some gas. So i left it for one more cold day and night, then tried it again yesterday and it would not start. Even tried with starter fluid but nothing, except for a few fires and some pops. It tries so hard to start and if I hold the key trying to start it fires and stops, then fire and stops, its so close in starting.

Are the blazers prone to cold weather starting issues? Is there something that is new that could be wrong that was missed in the warm saftey of the garage? Could moisture have got into the distributor or wiring to cause it not to start. I guess anything is a possibility. I havn't checked anything yet such as fuel and spark, as it was too cold to stand outside in the snow and now I can't get the F'ing thing back into the garage to work on it (I know but I like the warm)
Any suggestions on what to try and look for first?

1) Fuel pressure
2) Spark
3) ??

Re-Cap on new parts:
1) Fuel Pump
2) Dist Cap
3) Leads, Plugs
4) Spider Assembly (Including Regulator)
5) Battery
6) EGR Valve Cleaned
7) All Gaskets

I wonder if something is stuck open/closed? Anything come to mind that I could check that maybe sticks in cold weather.

Always appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Ryan.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:26 PM

Quick update.

1) Fuel pressure ~62psi ok

Tried to start it this morning and all I got was a click from the engine. Battery was about 50% charged (discharged it yesterday after al those starts!), Fuel pump primed and everything else electrical works, just wont turn over?

Maybe a possibilty that the starter is out? I will wait until the battery is fully charged before we go down that route.

Still wont explain the situation yesterday!

Help!

Thanks,
Ryan.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:20 PM

So....went out just now and in 30 oF weather nice and sunny and it started right up first key turn no probelm. I charged the battery to 100% and it was perfect.

Still wondering if in cold weather, say 10 oF if something is going on, but right now it all seems to be ok.

Anyone got any thoughts on the cold start situation?

Thanks,
Ryan.