2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Another wheel bearing issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 03:53 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Another wheel bearing issue?

Hey everyone. Well my Jimmy has been parked for a while due to rusted fuel/brake lines which I am trying to get replaced (not leaking. see my other thread) but I take it around the block every weekend to keep the brakes from rusting and the engine in good shape. I keep noticing a metallic/brake noise when I driving straight or make a right turn coming from the left wheel once the brakes have warmed up. It more or less goes away when I turn left. Brakes are in good shape and I didn't notice any play at the end of the winter when I had a ball joint replaced and rotated the tires. Could I have another bad wheel bearing? I am on my 3rd set in 4 years. Thanks

Old 07-10-2014, 09:43 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

It certainly could be a wheel bearing, especially if you used cheaper bearings. Jack it up so the tire is just off the ground and check it for play.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Starting Member
Shenanigans is on a distinguished road

Hey ComputerNerdBD, I had the same problem with my right wheel. It would only make noise when I turned right. Sounds like the caliper itself is running itself on something. I checked everywhere inside the wheel well and could not find a point of contact. I took off the bearing and checked for metal or any debris that might have gotten inside the housing when I replaced it the first time. I did that and checked the torque on the caliper bolts and wheel nuts multiple times because no matter what I did the noise kept coming back.

I kept wondering wtf is causing it... then I remembered that I had done my own brake pads a few months ago and that a small metal sleeve was left out after reinstalling the brake pads and caliper. The sleeve that the caliper bolt travels through before going through the caliper itself. I added the sleeve to the caliper bolt that was missing one and torqued everything to specs and the grinding metal noise went away. It may not be your issue, but it definitely sounds like it.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Z85TB is on a distinguished road

My question to you is... What brand wheel bearings (assuming hub assy?) have you been using?