2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Any ideas on my temp problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:47 PM
kdanderson5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Any ideas on my temp problem?

Great! Thats what I like to hear! I will post up tonight after I replace this thermo to let anyone know that comes along this thread in the future what fixed it

Old 11-11-2008, 06:16 PM

So, new thermostat is in. 195. Bled the lines of air pretty good. Could havedonebetter on the bleeding but it is all getting drained tomorrow anyways.

Air still is not very warm coming out of the vents, but there is a change in the temp gauge. Now it goes up to arouind 200 and I think to myself "oh boy HEAT!", then it opens, and the temp falls all the way back down to 150 or so. Then starts over. Climbs back up, opens, and falls 40-50 degrees again.Is this normal?

I went and drove it around town for maybe a half hour and it did this the whole time. Up and down, up and down, up and down, but still the heat out of the vents didn't get very warm, and it is 43 degrees out right so so it is not like it is bitterly cold so I think it would work really good right now shouldn't it?

What do I have going on?!?!?!?!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sure sounds like you still have air in the system.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:54 PM

You think that is what is still causing it? I guess I will find out tomorrow when I get it flushed and they refill it. I will keep you guys posted! Thanks again

Old 11-12-2008, 06:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: salvy

Another related question, when I bought this truck recently, it had new lower,upper,rad hoses. when I squish them they never put the springs back in them, could this be my problem? Where can I buy just the coil springs?
These hoses do not have coil springs inside them like older hoses do. They are made to hold their shape. If the hoses are collapsing when the truck cools off, they need to be replaced. If they are holding their shape, then do not worry about it.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:03 AM
salvy is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't they come with them from the factory ?You can squeeze any rubber hose. warm or cold.Dayco doesn't come with them, Delco's I'm not sure. According to the shop manual it shows the springs/coils in there andI just don't understand how is jacking up the car gonna get the air out of a sealed system? Ain't I gonna just trap the air at the highest point heater core?

Old 11-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Administrator

You run it with the cap off so it is not a sealed system. Even if you were to leave the cap on, the air would collect in the radiator keeping it from the engine where it can cause problems. The point of raising the front end is so that the radiator, specifically the cap side of the radiator, is the highest point, not the heater core.

The only radiator hose that may have had one is the lower (suction) hose. On my old 2000 Bravada, the hoses were factory and they did not have a spring in them. Most newer hoses are constructed to be collapse free during operation, not requiring springs in them. Grabbing a hold of them and squeezing is different though and you should be able to squeeze them together. The hose should go right back to being round though.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:29 AM

Ok Kyle,
I gotta try to get this done today, should it be up temp? when I lift it or lift it and let it run? I have 16# cap on it. is that right? I appreciate all your help as usuall. Thanks, Pal.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Just jack up the front end, getting the passenger side just a bit higher than the driver side. Then run the truck up to operating temperature, let it cool (add coolant as necessary) and repeat. The last time you run it up to temperature, put the cap on and put it back on the ground. Make sure that the overflow bottle is up to the proper level (or a little higher) and you should be good to go.

A 16# cap is just what the general ordered.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:39 AM

Okay Buddy,
I'll check in after post my result, Have a good day buddy.

Quick Reply: Any ideas on my temp problem?