2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Ball Joint Boot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:24 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Ball Joint Boot?

This might be a very dumb question about ball joints, but:

I have a 1998 GMC Jimmy SLT 4x4 with 70,000 miles. All 4 ball joints were replaced August 2008 (like 5,000 miles ago). When I was checking the front end before a trip, i noticed that the lower left ball joint boot looked like it was pulled out on top and there is a little piece of rubber sticking out above the boot. Also, all 4 wheels were on the ground at that time. I dont see any grease around any of the ball joints as if they were leaking and I had an oil, filter and lube done one month ago, and it appeared that they greased it. Please see attached photo. Thanks for any answers.

ComputernerdBD

P.S. All four ball joints are Duralast from Autozone.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Starting Member
SockJock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Ball Joint Boot?

looks like there might be salt/corrosion under the boot...where do you live at? I wouldn't worry too much, just grease them regularly.It's pretty common for the boots to tear up pretty quickly anyhow...if you drive in an area with alot of foul weather(salted roads)grease them more frequently to be on the safe side

Old 01-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks pretty normal to me... There is a metal ring that holds the cup on the ball joint.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:26 AM

ORIGINAL: SockJock

looks like there might be salt/corrosion under the boot...where do you live at? I wouldn't worry too much, just grease them regularly.It's pretty common for the boots to tear up pretty quickly anyhow...if you drive in an area with alot of foul weather(salted roads)grease them more frequently to be on the safe side
I live in the Hudson Valley in New York. ALOT of snow storms this winter. We just got 6" last night. Had to use 4LO just to repark it so the plow guy could plow us out because we have a steep driveway and snow almost up to the doors. There has'nt been a warm enough day in a few weeks to break out the hose and rinse the undercarriage, and local car washes don't do a good job on the undercarriage (they wash it even if it is 0 out!) . By the way, the boot doesn't look torn, it is just that little piece of rubber that is hanging out that i was concerned about because i'd hate for new ball joints to start leaking. I definately will get some more grease in them now that you mention it. Thanks for the advice.

ComputernerdBD

P.S. Could it have pulled out when it was jacked up a couple days ago? It was from the frame just behind the left-front wheel.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:16 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Jacking it up shouldnt do anything to the boot since it is basically the same as driving on an uneven surface.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:04 PM

OK. Got the solution. Took it to Valvoline Express Oil change for a lube. They tell me that the grease fitting is the wrong size, was recessed into the joint and cannot be greased because the grease gun wouldn't fit. The ball joint was VERY low on grease also, so it was good that i found that. Took it to the shop that put the ball joints in, replaced it with a longer, 90* one so we wont have the same problem again. also packed it with enough grease to last a long time. Good thing it is still good also because there is still no play in the front end. Thanks for all the help on this matter.

ComputernerdBD