2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

battery draw (need help asap)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 11:59 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: battery draw (need help asap)

I have made a tool that is helpful for finding shorts. I've soldered a bulb to a fuse. Install this in place of the regular fuse and if there is a draw the bulb will light. Start disconnecting components on the circuit and when the light goes out you have isolated the problem.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/75B6E61A0F3445509F81997C923A73F1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/5819E3F1211F4CF089A074EEF6F713C0.gif[/IMG]

Old 04-06-2008, 03:05 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

...I'm stealing your idea Rob, lol. That'll come in handy, eventually, when my truck starts getting gremlins.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:13 AM
rwrows is an unknown quantity at this point

sweet thanks for the wire diagram. so in order of easiest to hardest, what should i disconnect first? radio, then guages/odo?? what's the easiest way to disconnect the radio?? basically pull it out? keep em coming guys. this is good stuff. thanks again.

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

ok so i got a reply on chevroletforum.com that said there are only three things on that circuit.... radio, instrument panel, and electronic climate control module (if equipped). how do i know if i have an ECC? i'm guessing i don't because i have a **** to turn from blue to red. what's the easiest way to unplug the radio? do i have to take apart anything?? how do i unplug the IPC? i'm getting excited. we're getting close here guys!

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Combined consecutive posts. Please use the edit feature to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2008, 10:00 AM

ok so i got a reply on chevroletforum.com that said there are only three things on that circuit.... radio, instrument panel, and electronic climate control module (if equipped). how do i know if i have an ECC? i'm guessing i don't because i have a **** to turn from blue to red. what's the easiest way to unplug the radio? do i have to take apart anything?? how do i unplug the IPC? i'm getting excited. we're getting close here guys!

Old 04-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

From the sounds of it, you do not have the ECC. So I would start by removing the radio and seeing what effect that has on the draw. You should be able to find a few threads on the subject of removing the stereo in the Audio/Visual area. I'm betting that it is something amiss with the stereo.

It is possible that something with the RAP (retained accessory power) circuit is causing these problems...

Old 04-06-2008, 04:50 PM

one more question before i take out the radio: i noticed when i put the rdo batt fuse in place (with the key in the 'off' position), the guages spike and then go back to zero. you know kind of like the same way they do when you turn the igition key to 'on'. is that normal or does that tell me something right there? thanks again. great forum.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This is normal. There is a higher power draw initially as the components are first powered up. They will then go into sleep mode where they will use minimal power.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:22 PM

ok cool. i'm gonna pull out the radio and then report back. not sure when i'm gonna do it. maybe one day this week. i'm driving the truck regularly now and it's so easy to pull out the rdo batt fuse when i park the truck for the night. it's not a big deal at all, since it's right next to the door and the fuse is kind of by itself so it's easy to grab with my fingers. i'll let you guys know how i make out. thanks for all the help so far. it's been great!

Old 04-24-2008, 05:48 PM

ok. i pulled the radio and still had a draw of 590 mA with the radio completely out. put it back in and the draw was 600 mA.

i noticed when the radio is in, there is an initial additional 'burst' draw of 1000 mA (so 1600 mA for a split second) but after a second it goes down to 600 mA and stays steady at 600 mA. with the radio out, there is just a constant draw of 590 mA. So it looks like to me the IPC has a short and is drawing 500 and change mA.

Any thoughts? Do you guys agree that it's the IPC?

Old 04-24-2008, 06:36 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

There's always a draw... That small of a draw shouldn't be causing an issue... Not on a battery in good shape...

Quick Reply: battery draw (need help asap)