2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Is this below normal operating temperature - pic inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:14 PM
UberFail is on a distinguished road

funny - mine sits the same spot too and i have gooood heat. like say 5 min down the road heat's working, 10-15 min down the road heats off cuz i can't standz it no moar. but ya my thermostat sits around 70 ish degrees C all the time unless i giver and she gets warmer @ low idle afterwards.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Starting Member
Tinted is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by UberFail
funny - mine sits the same spot too and i have gooood heat. like say 5 min down the road heat's working, 10-15 min down the road heats off cuz i can't standz it no moar. but ya my thermostat sits around 70 ish degrees C all the time unless i giver and she gets warmer @ low idle afterwards.
mine never gets warmer, even after a 2 hour drive down the 401 at 120km/hr or a 1 hour drive to work at 25km/hr it still sits at that spot.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:39 PM
UberFail is on a distinguished road

sounds like either u have an air bubble in your heater core, OR your thermostat is pooched.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:41 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by greendouglash
You should let it cool, and you'll have to drain a little bit of the radiator to keep it from gushing out at ya.
. on both counts.

did the last thermostat in 5 minutes after getting back from the parts store (40 minute round trip). never lost more than 1/2 liter of coolant.

Originally Posted by nuwave
Yes, the torque converter will not lock up until normal operating temperture.
funny, mine locked-up just fine when i was bringing my '98 home when i bought it.

2 days before Christmas (a few years ago), in a snow storm @ -5*, & the converter locked up just fine on the 1 1/4 hour drive home (all highway)

Originally Posted by an301
Hi there. In my blazer it also stays at same way. I used scanner and it said coolant temperature 92C. That is what computer uses. I dont know is there one probe for meter and one for computer.
yes, there are 2 seperate temperature sensors for the engine. like you said, one for the computer, the other for us.

Originally Posted by UberFail
sounds like either u have an air bubble in your heater core, OR your thermostat is pooched.
yeah, you haven't updated us on how that t-stat change went.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:27 AM
Starting Member
ffox is on a distinguished road

Should run about 195F. that would be about 100 on that gauge..Right now it's showing about 122

Old 02-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Beginning Member
BB3439 is on a distinguished road

Like 95Jimmy asked, is the heater putting out normal heat, if so, it may simply be a faulty guage or sender unit.

If/when you do replace the thermostat, just before putting the new one in place, bring the coolant level back up to the top of the thermostat flange. This will eliminate some of the problems of bleeding the air out of the cooling system.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:37 AM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough

hmm odd, like i said mine sits right between the first and second tick, rarley ever makes it to 100....so im guessing i probably sit around 85-90....last time i hit 100 i was driving up a mountain (and my stainless exhaust tips changed colour for the 2 inches from where they were welded to the exhaust pipes)......and i have great heat with it running at that.

as for the torque converter mine does not lock up when its cold (and i mean cold as in -15 or colder)....i notice that once the engine warms up enough that the oil pressure drops and returns down to normal pressure that is about the same time the torque converter will start to lock.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Starting Member
billbobagns is on a distinguished road

Does the heater blow good and hot after the first 3-4 miles of driving? If so, don't worry too much.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Starting Member
Tinted is on a distinguished road

havent done the change yet

i have heat, it is hot but does not blow very strong.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Starting Member
Senshi09 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tinted
havent done the change yet

i have heat, it is hot but does not blow very strong.

If it sn't blowing strong, then id suggest blower motor and blower fan. From previous experiance when id work on vehicles that had great heat but much blowing it was cuz the motor was going out causing the fan to not rotate as fast, resulting in less then good blown heat. Might be different with blazers though, but thats my experiance of it.

Quick Reply: Is this below normal operating temperature - pic inside