2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Bizarre front window washer issue - it keeps going for days!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 11:31 PM
Rock18 is on a distinguished road
Default Bizarre front window washer issue - it keeps going for days!

Had this issue for a while now and finally got fed up enough to post about it because I can't figure it out myself.

Whenever I use the windshield washer, instead of spraying and then wiping for 3-4 strokes, it goes on wiping for like 30 seconds. It gets super annoying once it starts rubbing on a dry windshield, and it wears out wiper blades unnecessarily soon.

The "quick wipe" (rotating the intermittent wiper switch collar downward briefly) does something similar, where instead of just one wipe it wants to do 5 or 6.

And weirdly, it only does this SOME OF THE TIME.

I'm suspicious that it's something in the multifunction switch stalk, but hoping someone had an idea that's cheaper/easier than taking apart the dash and steering column.

Last edited by Rock18; 11-30-2022 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:22 AM
TDS-MN is on a distinguished road

There is a common fix for this, some questionable solder joints under the hood. I had similar symptoms that were fixed by re-touching the solder joints as directed by the write-up. Access was pretty easy up by the wiper motor under the hood as I recall, it's been quite a while since I did this. I will say that eventually I did start to get some erratic operation again after a few years, but I never got around to going back in and revisiting the original fix.

Old 11-28-2022, 10:40 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

You can buy the circuit board for the wiper motor separately. It's not that expensive, and only takes a few minutes to change. I had some similar issues, and a new circuit board made it better. Not perfect, but good enough. The intermittent wipers won't work at the slowest couple of clicks, so I probably need a new MFS too. But it doesn't bother me enough to worry about it.

Old 11-28-2022, 10:03 PM
puttster will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tom A
You can buy the circuit board for the wiper motor separately. It's not that expensive, and only takes a few minutes to change. I had some similar issues, and a new circuit board made it better. Not perfect, but good enough. The intermittent wipers won't work at the slowest couple of clicks, so I probably need a new MFS too. But it doesn't bother me enough to worry about it.
I think we bought the same switch. Cheap and easy fix. It seems like the slowest intermittents don't work but if you wait them out, they will kick in, eventually.

Old 11-29-2022, 07:48 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by puttster
I think we bought the same switch. Cheap and easy fix. It seems like the slowest intermittents don't work but if you wait them out, they will kick in, eventually.
Pretty funny. You're the first person I've heard of having the same problem. I'll have to try waiting for mine. I'm not very patient, lol.

Old 11-29-2022, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by TDS-MN
There is a common fix for this, some questionable solder joints under the hood. I had similar symptoms that were fixed by re-touching the solder joints as directed by the write-up. Access was pretty easy up by the wiper motor under the hood as I recall, it's been quite a while since I did this. I will say that eventually I did start to get some erratic operation again after a few years, but I never got around to going back in and revisiting the original fix.
Oh wow, thanks! That's exactly the kind of cheap/crazy fix I was hoping for. It sounds like it could work too, because everything else on the MFS (signals, cruise, intermittent wipers) works pretty flawlessly. I'm not great with a soldering iron but that sounds like something I could manage.

Now I just have to see if I can find that reference!

Old 11-30-2022, 07:28 AM
BF Veteran

You can buy a new Dorman pulse module on Amazon for 16 bucks. What's your time worth?

Old 11-30-2022, 12:58 PM

You can buy a new Dorman pulse module on Amazon for 16 bucks. What's your time worth?
Even better! Ordered!

Old 11-30-2022, 05:42 PM
TDS-MN is on a distinguished road

That should fix the problem for ya. Good Luck!

Old 12-11-2022, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by puttster
Pretty funny. You're the first person I've heard of having the same problem. I'll have to try waiting for mine. I'm not very patient, lol.
So I finally got around to swapping out the board and have the same problem. Everything works fine except the very slowest intermittent setting.

For $16 I can live with it though.

Thanks for the help again!