2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

blazer dying while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 01:27 PM
patw2009 is on a distinguished road
Default blazer dying while driving

my blazer started dying recently while i was driving it... so i would have to come to a stop in traffic and start the damn thing again... i replaced the ECM(Electronic control Module) and was told that should fix it but it didnt... I have a 1999 Blazer LT with 4x4 and 4.3 Vortec...

Any help appreciated guys, thanks.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Would it always start back up after it would stall?

Old 06-20-2009, 03:01 PM

yes it always starts back up.......

Old 06-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Curly is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem, stalling while decellerating or stopping at a traffic light. EGR valve was working properly and was not problem. during lengthy drives, typically over 20 miles at 55 MPH, my fuel pump would start "whining". Figuring a partially clogged fuel filter would force the fuel pump to work harder, I replaced it. It was opened up and found to be clean with no debris in it. My next step will be to replace the fuel pump/fuel gauge sending unit assembly. The "whining" sound comes and goes. When on an extended drive, the sound it makes is like that of a tractor trailer passing you on the interstate.....a steady mid to high pitched whine. On short drives around town there is no whining and if it is whining and I shut engine off for a bit, the sound goes away.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:25 AM

i do here the fuel pump,but it really not a whining sound,just sounds like its working,sounds normal,but its been about a yr or so sence ive replaced the fuel filter,think i should go ahead and replace the filter,and see what happens,and my other problem is that the heater even feels like its on always blowing heat into the blazer always,even being off

Old 06-21-2009, 10:06 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

This may sound strange, But! Maybe Kyle can chime in on this, Does it only stall when your coming to a stop?? I`m thinking it may be the lock up on the torque converter , stalling the truck.. How does it shift? smooth or it bangs into gears?

Old 06-21-2009, 10:45 AM

it stalls in mid-flight,like going 40 or 50 miles per hr,only after driving an hr or so,then keeps on doing it

also it does shifts into gear just fine

Old 06-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does it do it more frequently once it starts? If so, it sounds like you might be loosing spark. This could either result from an overheating ICM or coil. The coil would likely cause misfire issues, but an overheating ICM can just shut off the engine.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Beginning Member
95POSmoneypit is on a distinguished road

This seems a bit odd.. I am having a similar problem with my rig, difference is my truck hates me at all speeds. Once I get over 20 or so you can feel the truck surge like it is trying to die, but the transmission is still moving and give it the manual transmission effect. You have to come to a complete stop to start it back up?

Old 06-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Default where is the icm location

the icm is the control modle right.if so ive replaced that,so is the next step is to replace the coil.........??????,plus thxs for all the feed-back guys,

Quick Reply: blazer dying while driving