2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Bleeder nipple on bottom of caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 05:58 PM
pbd3mon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bleeder nipple on bottom of caliper?

Hi, I have a 2004 Blazer RWD and I'm in the process of fixing my rear brakes (rotors, pads and calipers) and I noticed something really odd; the bleeder nipples are on bottom of the calipers. I find this really odd because according to my logic I will not be able to bleed out the air after replacing the calipers. I have not changed the brakes since I bought this car. Any input on how to install the new calipers would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Bleeder nipple on bottom of caliper?-dsc_0298.jpg  
Old 10-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Starting Member
maddie's dad is on a distinguished road

That really is odd. Could it be that the calipers were swapped from opposite sides of the trucK? I did this once on an old datsun station wagon's front calipers.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If there is only one bleeder, then the calipers are on the wrong sides of the truck.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:57 PM

Yes there is only one bleeder per caliper on both the old ones and the new ones. So you're saying that I should definitely install the new ones making sure the bleeders are oriented on top of the caliper?

Old 10-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That's the only way they will be effective.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:05 PM

Ok thank you, I will try it tomorrow and I will keep you posted.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Administrator

The part numbers on the new calipers should tell you what side they are supposed to go on. What are the part numbers & brand of the replacement calipers?

Old 10-14-2011, 08:16 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pbd3mon
Ok thank you, I will try it tomorrow and I will keep you posted.
as previously stated, if the bleeder is on the bottom it is mounted on the wrong side. You can install the left caliper on the right side but the bleeder will be on the bottom as apposed to the top.

If both bleeders are on the bottom then swap calipers from side to side, if only one bleeder is on the bottom you have two of the same calipers(ex, 2 left side calipers, making the caliper on the right the one that is upside down)

As stated, the bleeder screw has to be on top to be effective because you are letting out the air and air goes to the highest point.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:45 PM

Sorry for the late reply had some catching up to do after go the car fixed. You guys were absolutely right it had to be facing up. The repair went smooth. Once again thank you for all the replies.