2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

blower motor and a/c evaporater

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:57 PM
rcravincase is an unknown quantity at this point
Default blower motor and a/c evaporater

looking to replace both of them. i have a leak somewhere in my a/c system that developed after the summer, and after running a charge with leak detector and using an uv light, i found nothing on the condenser, lines, or compressor. also, the blower motor bearings have started to make noise when cold so i want to replace that as well. is it going to be as much of a task as the heater core? i've dread the day of doing that. my brother did his in a day without much headache and is only a weekend mechanic. i do have some issues with the heater core getting clogged, for the life of me i cant seem to keep clean coolant in the motor. i have to flush it out every 10k miles because it just gets crapped up with rust. i just backflush it with a garden hose and air to clean it out. so anyways, is it the same procedure as the heater core?

Old 12-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The evaporator core comes out from under the hood. The shop manual states to remove the right fender...

Old 12-22-2010, 09:37 AM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

I feel your pain. I suspect my evaporator core is leaking on mine. I've done the same thing you did with dye and a UV light and we can't see where it's leaking. I do feel a little better about it since swartlkk says you can change it without pulling the dash. I'll have to check into it later on.

swartllk, is there any way to tell for sure the evaporator core is leaking?

Old 12-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can see the evap core through the hole the blower motor resistor module goes through. If you were to shine a UV light in there, you should see the signs of a leak if it is leaking in there.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:38 PM

i had a white fog come out a few times, so im pretty sure its the evap core. now can i do the heater core while im in there too? might as well take care of all 3 problems at once

Old 12-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Administrator

I'm not sure on the '95-'97 2nd gens, but on the 98+, the entire dash has to come out to get at the heater core.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Beginning Member
fireman846 is on a distinguished road

man i am begining to think i picked a bad year of a blazer to of bought! first i find out my tranny is having issues and now today i find out the damn blower motor quit! great and not a damn parts store is or was open today or untill sunday! and now you say i have to pull the whole dash to change out the heater core! man anyone want to buy a blazer cheap? sry to have hijacked and ranted your thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:51 PM

it supposed to come out, but my oldest brother has a 95 as well and did his in a weekend. ill see what sort of input he can give me when i see him for our family get together. interior work is about the only thing that i dont excel in. too many plastic peices