2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

brake job

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:13 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of
Default brake job

ive got a couple quick questions. 1.will i be able to get away with semi-metallic pads in the rear instead of ceramic? and the second question is should i stick with OEM replacement rotors in the front or go with brembo vented rotors both of which are offered at the local o'reilleys

Old 01-23-2009, 09:31 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: brake job

If they are good semi-metallics you could use them in the rear, you will have brake dust though. The OEM rotors are $$$ or at least they were when I priced out my front brake job. When you say vented do you actually mean drilled, if you do then they actually reduce braking performance some, they will reduce temps though.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:50 PM
riceh8r0512 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would just get the ceramic pads. Brakes are one area I would not cheap out on, the quicker you can stop the better. As far as rotors go, I would not spend the money on OEM's, especially when you can get better cheaper. If the Brembo's are just vented and not cross drilled I would go with those. I personally would stay away from cross drilled. There are a lot of theories behind the cross drilled, and from what I have read it is just over rated.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:00 AM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

rice i agree the brakes are prolly the last place to cheap out i just figured since the rear does less than half the braking it might not make a difference as far as the rotors go im not sure if the brembos are drilled through or not i found those on o'reilly's website and they didnt have a picture just a description and the stock replacement rotors and pad are Wagner ive never heard of these but the guy at the counter said there the best they have and the come with a limited life time warranty. ive got the local mom and pop parts store to stop at yet, but a rough estimate from o'reilly was around $378 for pads and rotors all around and id i go with the wagner rotors instead of brembo it'll be about 40 bucks cheaper