2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

brake squeak

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 07:37 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point
Question brake squeak

Ever since changing my pads and rotors months back the first two times I stop after having it sit for like and hour or more the brakes squeak. They dont squeak any other time while driving or stopping only those first two stops. Do I need to pull the pads and spray on more of the crc quiet stuff or is this normal?

Old 04-25-2009, 08:05 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Not normal.

My guess would be that you somehow got some grease or some such on the rotors/pads during the replacement. I'd take off the offending wheels and clean the brakes really well with a brake cleaner and see if that fixes it. If not....since it only seems to happen at the first few "stops" you might have something contaminating the surfaces and it burns off after the first few stops. ie. dirt, dust, god knows take a look around the fender well and the brake caliper and see if there is some foreign material that could potentially be the cause.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on what type of pads you put on. Semi-metallic pads can squeal a bit initially. Ceramics can squeal a lot.

The CRC brake quiet would not hurt.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:13 PM

Yeah I sprayed down the rotors when I was checking my tires, they didnt look bad and nothing seemed to change cleaning them. I will take the calipers off and respray the pads with anti squeal. The pads are ceramics but they only do that squeak for the first two stops. Its almost like the rotors rust a little between uses.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sprayed what on your rotors?? You should not be putting anything on your rotors.

Does it look like there is any buildup of rust on the rotors?

I never really have liked the spray on anti-squeak. I do not know how old the stuff I have is, but it is a jell. I apply it and smooth it out with my finger, then give it about a half hour to set up before I assemble the pads to the caliper. Most of the time the key is in the dry time..

Old 04-26-2009, 07:23 PM

Sorry to scare you I sprayed the rotors with brake parts cleaner. The only rust is on non braking surfaces like the vents. Yeah when I redo the anti squeak I will spray it on heavier and let it setup longer. The stuff seems wicked sticky when I was putting it on.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Administrator

K, just checking. How tight did the pads fit into the caliper bracket?

Old 04-26-2009, 09:21 PM

pretty tight but they do move. The caliper brackets and calipers are about the only things on my truck that arent rusty. I lubed up all the slides and pins when I put them together with high temp caliper grease. Could it be that the caliper seperates from the anti squeak on the calipers when it sits and thats why after two brakings they wont squeak again?

Old 04-27-2009, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Doubt it... Odd.