2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Brakes failed on highway

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 03:29 PM
GunsOfNavarone is on a distinguished road

Ant time a 2nd Generation Blazer/ Jimmy/ Bravada has rear pads replaced with the original calipers, the calipers should be rebuilt or replaced. It was disappointing that whoever did the rear pads in 2009 did not replace the calipers- might of saved you a lot of hassle. The rear calipers are well known for seizing after pads/ rotors are replaced. Budget calipers as part of any rear brake pad replacement. One can buy "stacked" calipers from RockAuto, where the calipers are shipped with new pads already installed, simply take off old caliper and replace with new caliper. ALl you have to do is bleed the lines.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:26 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
Ant time a 2nd Generation Blazer/ Jimmy/ Bravada has rear pads replaced with the original calipers, the calipers should be rebuilt or replaced. It was disappointing that whoever did the rear pads in 2009 did not replace the calipers- might of saved you a lot of hassle. The rear calipers are well known for seizing after pads/ rotors are replaced. Budget calipers as part of any rear brake pad replacement. One can buy "stacked" calipers from RockAuto, where the calipers are shipped with new pads already installed, simply take off old caliper and replace with new caliper. ALl you have to do is bleed the lines.
Thanks for the tip. Since the rear ones are already done, next time I have the front pads done, the front calipers are getting done. I stopped going to the same place that replaced all 4 pads and rotors last time. The bad thing is that we knew the guy for over 20 years. The front ones are starting to rust and the truck has over 92k on it and I don't ever want to take a chance with this. I think the problem with the left rear calipers was there just after they were replaced in the first place. I was hearing groaning sounds when I make a very sharp left turn, even more so when I started it up and made the turn out of the parking lot at the last college I went to. I took it to 4 different mechanics 4 times (one of which took it on a 30 min test drive and found no problems) between then and when the brakes failed and they found nothing wrong. In my case, it was alot more than a hassle. It almost lead to a crash twice because I was on a very dangerous road. The Garden State Parkway is not up to interstate highway standards like the New York State Thruway (my favorite and most traveled highway). The ramps are steep and have sharp turns, there isn't a shoulder in alot of places, the lanes are narrow, etc. The shop in NJ (whose name I will reveal soon) took advantage and didn't even check the calipers but just said the M/C was leaking and replaced that with a huge bill. I had both rear calipers, pads and 1 rotor done for less than the master cylinder replacement.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:21 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

I don't know if this is related to the brake problems I have had, but is it normal to hear a soft "hiss" sound when I apply the brakes? I don't know if it could be a vacuum problem because the A/C seems to work fine and the 4WD locks in okay (I can jack up the front left wheel and turn it like 2-4 inches and then the front driveshaft and the CV shaft on the opposite side will try to rotate and then lock since the truck is in park). The actuator under the battery seems to lock the front axle properly (I can look when I pull the headlight off).

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 07-05-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:01 AM
Beginning Member
walleye seeker is on a distinguished road

I had a grand prix that did the same thing .within a weeks time the brakes failed twice .

1st time Tow to garage could find nothing wrong

2nd time pull over called for a ride while i was waiting brakes returned to normal function ???

When i say fail i mean all the way to the floor and not even the slightest drag

owned the car for 3 more years never did it again

I never replaced anything but pads but it sure did play havoc on my nerves when driving

no one could explain to me what happened