2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A/C compressor starts and stops

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:56 PM
familyguy2200 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by stlwaco
take a 4 ft piece of 14 AWG wire. Strip both ends about 1 1/2". Unplug the coil connector. Place one end of the stripped wire slightly in the hole on the connector that the green wire is in. Plug the connector back in (it wont go in all the way). remove the fuse box lid. wrap the other end of the jumper wire to the stud sticking up that has 12v +. You may have to jimmy the connector on the coil a little to get to get it to engage. After gauge shows good level, remove jumper completely. Compressor should stay running if you have AC on in cab.
THIS WORKED PERFECTLY! Thank you so much!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Beginning Member
MintyMadness is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by stlwaco
The only reason it keeps shouting off is because the psi drops and the low psi switch is activated. Once the charge is correct, the compressor will engage when you turn the ac on from inside without a jumper.
Hi psi port is near the low side. Look forward and down. You should see the dust cap
Where in stl are you? Might be able to come show you next time I'm in town... hopefully this weekend
I have tried to use a recharge kit for the refrigerant, but when I do, the pressure will go up into the red and stay there, but immediately drop when the compressor engages. It doesn't seem to matter how much refrigerant is in the system. The system does hold the pressure though, so I don't think there are any leaks.... is it safe to assume the compressor is dying? I made another thread about bushings, and I posted a video of a recent sound that I am 85% sure is coming from my compressor. sounds like a pulley bearing that is dying, but it's loudest right next to the compressor pulley.

edit: I am moving all this week to our first house, so I will have more time to work on this next week. I will try the jumper tonight. I'll try to make a video of what I do. If it's correct, maybe you can use it to explain this later to someone else.

-Jerm

Old 04-26-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by MintyMadness
I have tried to use a recharge kit for the refrigerant, but when I do, the pressure will go up into the red and stay there, but immediately drop when the compressor engages. It doesn't seem to matter how much refrigerant is in the system. The system does hold the pressure though, so I don't think there are any leaks.... is it safe to assume the compressor is dying? I made another thread about bushings, and I posted a video of a recent sound that I am 85% sure is coming from my compressor. sounds like a pulley bearing that is dying, but it's loudest right next to the compressor pulley.

edit: I am moving all this week to our first house, so I will have more time to work on this next week. I will try the jumper tonight. I'll try to make a video of what I do. If it's correct, maybe you can use it to explain this later to someone else.

-Jerm
Just try and do what he said, mine was doing the same thing and this worked perfect.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:25 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

The system is working correctly! DO NOT jumper anything. The low pressure switch is cutting the compressor out before the pressure gets too low. 1.If the pressure gets too low, air will be pulled into the system when it goes into a vacuum. 2.Refrigerant also cools the compressor valves when it is running. A compressor that is run in a low refrigerant condition is going to fail very soon due to burnt valves. 3. If the refrigerant pressure is too low, any condensation on the evaporator coil will freeze into a solid block of ice.

Do some google searching on how auto AC works. the info is out there. dont do anything else until you educate yourself. Auto AC isnt anything to screw with if you dont know what you are doing.

BTW - from what you have said, Your system is low on refrigerant and yes, there is a leak. The leak isnt very big if it is still under pressure. If you only need to add a pound or two each year then the leak isnt large enough to justify the repair.

If you start bypassing safety switches (Low pressure High Pressure switch) you are basically doing the same thing as disconnecting your oil pressure switch or your temperature sensor. They are there for a reason! YOUR VEHICLE"S and YOUR SAFETY!

Old 04-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The AC system is very sensitive to refrigerant charge. If the system is over or under charged by as little as 4 ounces, it will not function properly. Undercharging will cause insufficient cooling, and rapid wear to the compressor clutch. Overcharging will cause insufficient cooling and run the risk of causing permanent damage to the compressor and lines. Merely checking high and low side pressures and cycle times will not indicate the level of charge. To diagnose a problem, the system must be fully charged with the correct amount of R134a and PAG 150 oil. There is no sight glass on these systems, the ONLY way to know how much refrigerant is in the system is to drain, evacuate and recharge it with the proper amount. As mentioned, the switch you are attempting to bypass cycles the compressor clutch. With a properly charged system, the cycling switch turns the compressor clutch on when the accumulator pressure reaches approximately 42psi and shuts it off when pressure drops to approximately 22psi. While the system is running, if low side pressure is not cycling between 42psi and 22psi, there is a problem. Each switch has a purpose, don't bypass them.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by kristoph30
The system is working correctly! DO NOT jumper anything. The low pressure switch is cutting the compressor out before the pressure gets too low. 1.If the pressure gets too low, air will be pulled into the system when it goes into a vacuum. 2.Refrigerant also cools the compressor valves when it is running. A compressor that is run in a low refrigerant condition is going to fail very soon due to burnt valves. 3. If the refrigerant pressure is too low, any condensation on the evaporator coil will freeze into a solid block of ice.

Do some google searching on how auto AC works. the info is out there. dont do anything else until you educate yourself. Auto AC isnt anything to screw with if you dont know what you are doing.

BTW - from what you have said, Your system is low on refrigerant and yes, there is a leak. The leak isnt very big if it is still under pressure. If you only need to add a pound or two each year then the leak isnt large enough to justify the repair.

If you start bypassing safety switches (Low pressure High Pressure switch) you are basically doing the same thing as disconnecting your oil pressure switch or your temperature sensor. They are there for a reason! YOUR VEHICLE"S and YOUR SAFETY!
In my case I didn't have a leak they just didn't recharge my system.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:21 AM

If the shop blew the charge when they did the motor swap then it is possible they never fully charged the system. But if they didnt, then there is a leak. Granted, seals are better now days then they were years ago, but you still have rubber hoses, an open design compressor with mechanical seals. These systems WILL leak eventually, its just a matter of when.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Beginning Member
glued2it is on a distinguished road
Old 05-02-2011, 03:15 PM

To each his own but I would strongly suggest NOT spraying PB blaster or any other lube on an AC compressor clutch. Except for the bearing, there are no moving parts that need lubrication. Clutches work on friction. If the low or high pressure switches are commanding the clutch off, then lubricating it wont make it stay on. I would try to find the real cause. (If there is actually anything wrong) It might be working the way its designed!