2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Can't release parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013 | 02:17 PM
|
Beginning Member
jimmac23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Can't release parking brake

1996 Blazer, 4x4, 116000 miles. I'm in the process of a tune-up. Put the left front tire back on and I can hear a slight grinding and it doesn't spin freely. I thought it may have something to do with the parking brake being on so I went to release it and the handle doesn't seem to be attached. I had never used the parking brake before (only have put on 4000 miles) and didn't think to check the handle before engaging the brake. When I looked under the dash I can see a perpendicular cable which is taught which I'm guessing is the parking brake cable. Is there a way to manually release the cable? I'm so frustrated, this tune-up has been a nightmare. I'm moving to the right side of the vehice for now to do those plugs.

Old 12-20-2013 | 06:18 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jimmac23
1996 Blazer, 4x4, 116000 miles. I'm in the process of a tune-up. Put the left front tire back on and I can hear a slight grinding and it doesn't spin freely. I thought it may have something to do with the parking brake being on so I went to release it and the handle doesn't seem to be attached. I had never used the parking brake before (only have put on 4000 miles) and didn't think to check the handle before engaging the brake. When I looked under the dash I can see a perpendicular cable which is taught which I'm guessing is the parking brake cable. Is there a way to manually release the cable? I'm so frustrated, this tune-up has been a nightmare. I'm moving to the right side of the vehice for now to do those plugs.

You can find the cable connection underneath and undo that there. That will release the handle but if the cables are stuck, you'll have to pry the drums off. If a FRONT wheel is dragging though, that has nothing to do with your parking brake. Pull the left front wheel and rotate the rotor by hand. The calier will drag slightly but if it's not releasing, open the bleeder valve to see if the pressure is holding. You could have a sticky caliper or collapsed brake hose.

Old 12-20-2013 | 08:13 PM
Beginning Member
gpgab97 is on a distinguished road

I hear a lot of people say "use it all the time or not at all" when it come to the parking brake locking up. I forgot this warning when i got my last (now totalled) blazer and i was stuck in a mall parkinglot for 3 hours. I had always used it in my other trucks but evidently the previous owner never did. I tried releasing the cable as ol'grouch described but it was seized bad.

Old 12-20-2013 | 08:19 PM
|
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
You can find the cable connection underneath and undo that there. That will release the handle but if the cables are stuck, you'll have to pry the drums off. If a FRONT wheel is dragging though, that has nothing to do with your parking brake. Pull the left front wheel and rotate the rotor by hand. The calier will drag slightly but if it's not releasing, open the bleeder valve to see if the pressure is holding. You could have a sticky caliper or collapsed brake hose.
Thanks ol'grouch, the right fromt wheel is the same as the left so I think it is the caliper dragging slightly. I'm not sure I understand where I find the cable connection...underneath the dash? Maybe if I understood how the handle releases the parking break pedal it would be more clear. I don't think the brake itself is locked up, it's that the brake release handle is not attached to anything. On a side note, is it me or is it a real pita to do plugs, wires, cap and rotor?

Honk, Honk

Old 12-20-2013 | 08:50 PM
|
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by gpgab97
I hear a lot of people say "use it all the time or not at all" when it come to the parking brake locking up. I forgot this warning when i got my last (now totalled) blazer and i was stuck in a mall parkinglot for 3 hours. I had always used it in my other trucks but evidently the previous owner never did. I tried releasing the cable as ol'grouch described but it was seized bad.
Thanks gpgab97, I guess that I should be thankful that my Blazer is in the driveway and not at the mall. What did you do to get it unstuck?

Old 12-21-2013 | 10:17 AM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jimmac23
Thanks ol'grouch, the right fromt wheel is the same as the left so I think it is the caliper dragging slightly. I'm not sure I understand where I find the cable connection...underneath the dash? Maybe if I understood how the handle releases the parking break pedal it would be more clear. I don't think the brake itself is locked up, it's that the brake release handle is not attached to anything. On a side note, is it me or is it a real pita to do plugs, wires, cap and rotor?

Honk, Honk

The calipers will drag a little bit. That's normal. It's been so long since I've been under the dash of my '96 Blazer, I had to go look. I can't get my fa....er....extraordinarily intelligent head under there very well but it looks like you'll need to remove the lower panel that the release pull is on. If the pull handle has come loose, you can reach in and pull on the end of the release rod with pliers. If that isn't attached, there will be a cog holding the cable assembly and you can probably flip it with a screwdriver. Flip it up and the cable should pop loose. Just keep your fingers clear of it as it WILL raise a blood blister.

Old 12-21-2013 | 01:03 PM
|
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
The calipers will drag a little bit. That's normal. It's been so long since I've been under the dash of my '96 Blazer, I had to go look. I can't get my fa....er....extraordinarily intelligent head under there very well but it looks like you'll need to remove the lower panel that the release pull is on. If the pull handle has come loose, you can reach in and pull on the end of the release rod with pliers. If that isn't attached, there will be a cog holding the cable assembly and you can probably flip it with a screwdriver. Flip it up and the cable should pop loose. Just keep your fingers clear of it as it WILL raise a blood blister.
4 screws to remove the lower panel and I could immediately see that the handle was not attached. Hooked it up, pulled on the handle and brake released. Thanks for your help.

Jim