2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Carbon Buildup on MAF Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024 | 08:45 PM
|
WarszawaScream is on a distinguished road
Default Carbon Buildup on MAF Sensor?

2002 Blazer: I am extremely disappointed at every mechanically inclined person in my life for not telling me about cleaning the MAF sensor and how easy it is. ANYWAY, so today I learned about that, got some MAF sensor cleaner and took that bad boy out and sprayed it down and WOW it put some pep back into the old girl’s step.

HOWEVER there’s still some carbon buildup or other black stuff stuck in parts of the… rails? of the sensor. The long pieces that run across the assembly that the resistors run between. Refer to my expertly edited photo for reference.

Everyone on YouTube says NOT to touch those parts, so can y’all tell me if there’s a safe way I can get that gunk out without damaging the sensor? I’m a rockhound and a fossil hunter so I’m already very handy with a toothpick, toothbrush, Q-Tips, and obviously a spray can. Just need some advice before I muck up an expensive part!

Old 05-21-2024 | 05:38 PM
puttster will become famous soon enough

I sprayed mine down and got nothing for my $12 but a check engine light. As a last resort my plan is to cut a couple of holes in the screen, put the nozzle in there and empty the rest of the can.
edit: seems to have worked. However a P0420 code has since come on... probably an unrelated issue...:-/

Last edited by puttster; 07-17-2024 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-21-2024 | 07:27 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Try spraying from the backside. Soak it good and then spray again. After couple of four times you should be able to get the crud out.

Old 05-25-2024 | 04:49 PM
|

Originally Posted by puttster
I sprayed mine down and got nothing for my $12 but a check engine light. As a last resort my plan is to cut a couple of holes in the screen, put the nozzle in there and empty the rest of the can.
edit: seems to have worked. However a P0429 code has since come on... probably an unrelated issue...:-/
You can actually take the whole unit apart to remove the screen, I think it’s just four Torx screws, but you gotta be REAL careful doing that. But either way yeah, sounds unrelated - hope it’s an easy fix!

Old 05-25-2024 | 04:52 PM
|

Originally Posted by AJBert
Try spraying from the backside. Soak it good and then spray again. After couple of four times you should be able to get the crud out.
I did spray her from both sides, but I didn’t let it sit for awhile for a good soak. Gonna try that tonight since I’ll have her open trying to change the PCV valve out anyway (gotta love it when the hose comes out but the valve stays in the damn block; gotta grab my long needle-nose pliers and a step stool. I am Le Short.)